Windows filesystem is unable to be mounted upon reinstallation of windows

Hello, I am running opensuse 12.1 and after reinstalling windows, the drive letters of my windows drives changed. Now when I boot into suse, I get a message saying that “Dependency failed aborted start of /windows/D” and suse falls back into command line only mode where I am prompted to login as root. Once I login I can’t seem to figure out how to change whether the windows drives are going to be recognized or not. How can I make make it so they are not recognized?

When I type in

>mount

, I don’t get the drive that I am expecting to see that would represent /windows/D. Is there a file that contains the list of filesystems that are going to be attempted to be mounted?

My suggestion is to edit your /etc/fstab file, find the line that mounts /windows/C and put a remark # in front of it and reboot. You can then use the YaST / System / Partitioner to edit the new partition and elect to mount it (but no format), perhaps back at /windows/C since it already exists. I then normally edit the /etc/fstab file later and change all of the load options to say only “defaults” which works best for me and you too I bet. In terminal I normally use midnight commander (mc) which includes an editor. It comes with the console tools I think, but you can type in mc and see if it comes up.

Thank You,

Thank you, that solved my issue! I was able to get the drive added back too.

That is Great news adaykin and I was more than happy to help. This kind of thing is not all that uncommon and so you just need to remember this procedure, or write it down should that help.

Thank You,

On 2012-04-21 01:36, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
>
> adaykin;2457397 Wrote:
>> Thank you, that solved my issue! I was able to get the drive added back
>> too.
>
> That is Great news adaykin and I was more than happy to help. This
> kind of thing is not all that uncommon and so you just need to remember
> this procedure, or write it down should that help.

If you mount by labels you can add and delete partitions without (those)
problems.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)