I need information about openSUSE Live KDE

1- which softwares are included in openSUSE live KDE?
and
2- what is the meaning of “Can be installed as is (no upgrade)” in it’s download page?

On 2012-04-19 09:16, ilAli wrote:
>
> 1- which softwares are included in openSUSE live KDE?

Lots. Do you really want a list? The list is probably included in the root
of the CD.

> and
> 2- what is the meaning of “Can be installed as is (no upgrade)” in it’s
> download page?

That you can not upgrade an existing system with the CD, you need the DVD.

Offline upgrade method

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

To add: in fact it does not matter what’s on the CD. The installer will configure the distribution repos, so any software in there will be available to you. That’s the DVD ++++++

As much of openSUSE and KDE as will fit on a CD. You can install more over the network, if there is something missing.

Practically speaking, install from the live CD amounts to copying the pre-installed software to your computer. The live CD does not contain the commands to merge that into your existing system, nor does it contain the commands to make software selections during the install. You basically get exactly what is on the CD, but configured to suit your system (your partitioning, etc).

This is still the same openSUSE and KDE that you would get installing from the DVD. The difference is that the DVD contains more software, and has options to select from what is available. Once installed from the live CD, you can install more over the net from the repos, or you can uninstall something that you really didn’t want.

Here’s how to look at it. Installing from the DVD, you get to select what software you want. Installing from the KDE you get a preselected package deal, though you can change that later.

I installed openSUSE 11.4 and 12.1 before (now i am using Bodhi Linux for just experience) using DVD but for openSUSE 12.2 i’m looking up for a minimal KDE installation with only necessary packages and some useful packages such as Office Suit …
installing openSUSE using openSUSE DVDs i didn’t see any options to select from what is available. it just installed what it’s like!

> installing openSUSE using openSUSE DVDs i didn’t see any options to
> select from what is available. it just installed what it’s like!

Then you did not look properly. I always adjust what I want to install.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:26:02 +0000, ilAli wrote:

> installing openSUSE using openSUSE DVDs i didn’t see any options to
> select from what is available. it just installed what it’s like!

On the installation summary screen, you can select the different elements
and fine-tune the selections.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

hendersj & robin_listas are right. If you selected kde as your environment during the install, it will do ‘kde desktop environment’ You can unselect this though during the summery and select the minimal kde environment instead. I always adjust the applications installed as i like to have more than one desktop environment available.

On 2012-04-19 23:16, knightron wrote:
>
> hendersj & robin_listas are right. If you selected kde as your
> environment during the install, it will do ‘kde desktop environment’ You
> can unselect this though during the summery and select the minimal kde
> environment instead. I always adjust the applications installed as i
> like to have more than one desktop environment available.

Not only you can select patterns, you can also select individual packages
to install.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

To answer your question, the label of “Can be installed as is” just says that if you try to update your system with it, it will delete all of your files and start over like you had just reinstalled your system (This is more true then you think).