Thread: .Xdefaults rxvt-unicode-256color problem

Default .Xdefaults rxvt-unicode-256color problem

Hi,

In .Xdefaults rxvt-unicode, tput colors gives me 88 and shift-arrow up command completes term entry.
    n .Xdefaults rxvt-unicode-256color, tput colors gives me 256, and shift-arrow up command DOES NOT completes term entry.

Anybody know what to add/correct in .Xdefaults to have 256 colors and have shift-arrow up command work?

openSuSE 11.4

Thanks

Default Re: .Xdefaults rxvt-unicode-256color problem

The versions of rxvt-unicode under 11.4 (9.07-6.1) and 12.1 (rxvt-unicode-9.10.3.1.3) are different. The 12.1 version includes both urxvt and urxvt-256color. I don't have rxvt-unicode-256color under 11.4. How did you install it? You can not have 256 colors with urxvt, because I guess it wasn't build with this option. Notice that urxvtc-256color only has 88 colors, while urxvt-256color has 256. It doesn't seem possible to have 256 colors with the terminal daemon. It must be a bug (?). Can you not use TAB as completion key?

Hmmm, yast shows rxvt-unicode 9.15-24.1 has both rxvt-unicode and rxvt-unicode-256colors. Shift-uparrow brings what, with a beginning set of characters, what was used once before. TAB for me only brings up variations on item, like <ssh>, <ssh add, ssh agent, etc.>.

.Xdefaults rxvt-unicode,< tput colors> gives me 88 and shift-arrow up command completes term entry.
    .Xdefaults rxvt-unicode-256colors,< tput colors> gives me 256, and shift-arrow up command DOES NOT completes term entry.

That is the issue. And in a couple of days I'm upgrading to 12.1. The problem may exist there as well. Thanks

I don't understand what you mean by "DOES NOT complete term entry". What is shift-arrow up supposed to do? Can you give an example?

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by "DOES NOT complete term entry". What is shift-arrow up supposed to do? Can you give an example?
    Well say, days, weeks ago I logged into a site using terminal and ssh <name@address>, and now I wish to do it again and can't remember exactly what I had entered. Typing shift-uparrow after ssh ..., then all the other ssh personal uses are brought forward. Clear. Up arrow alone just unrolls previous entries. Shift uparrow is category specific.

You're right. It works with rxvt-unicode but not with rxvt-unicode-256color. It doesn't seem to be a terminfo problem - at least doesn't show up if you compare the terminfo capatibilities of both terminals:

Code:
    # infocmp -d rxvt-unicode rxvt-unicode-256color
    comparing rxvt-unicode to rxvt-unicode-256color.
        comparing booleans.
        comparing numbers.
            colors: 88, 256.
            pairs: 256, 32767.
        comparing strings.
    It doesn't help either to change the TERM value to rxvt-unicode in a urxvt-256color terminal. I don't know. Interesting problem... Looks like a bug.
    You can still use

Code:
    history | grep ssh
    But I know this is not what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    You're right. It works with rxvt-unicode but not with rxvt-unicode-256color. It doesn't seem to be a terminfo problem - at least doesn't show up if you compare the terminfo capatibilities of both terminals:

Code:
    # infocmp -d rxvt-unicode rxvt-unicode-256color
    comparing rxvt-unicode to rxvt-unicode-256color.
        comparing booleans.
        comparing numbers.
            colors: 88, 256.
            pairs: 256, 32767.
        comparing strings.
    It doesn't help either to change the TERM value to rxvt-unicode in a urxvt-256color terminal. I don't know. Interesting problem... Looks like a bug.
    You can still use

Code:
    history | grep ssh
    But I know this is not what you are looking for.
    Well maybe the upgrade to 12.1 will relieve the issue. Ya, <history | grep ssh> I suppose and shift-uparrow was neat. Thanks