XFCE and Desktop effects opensuse 12.1 - No Titlebars

I can not seem to uncheck “Enable Desktop Effects” to turn off compiz. I have lost my Titlebars, and the bottom panel dissapears until I put my mouse over it. The effects themselves seem to work but I do not think Desktop Effects work with XFCE’s Window manager.

Is there a console command I can use to turn off Desktop Effects?

If we’re talking about xfce, that would be:

xfwm4 --replace

I assume what you want is not to disable xfce compositing, but to exit compiz and replace it with the Xfce window manager.

do as please_try_again said. This is a temporary fix. I just wanted to clear a few things up for you. Desktop effects are enabled by not working with xfce’s window manager, but replacing it with compiz, which is a different window manager. Once you’ve done what please_try_again has suggested go into xfce control settings i think it’s called; there is an option there called ‘default applications’; you need to go into here and change the default window manager to ‘xfwm4’.
As a side note, i find compiz a buggy joke and never use it. Another window manager commonly used to achieve ‘desktop effects’ is kde’s default window manager ‘kwin’. If you still desire desktop effects, have you considered kwin instead? Kwin can be used easily with other desktop environments.I always use kwin. I love it. I’m currently running gnome 2.32, with kwin, and i’m very satisfied.

do as please_try_again said. This is a temporary fix. I just wanted to clear a few things up for you. Desktop effects are enabled by not working with xfce’s window manager, but replacing it with compiz, which is a different window manager. Once you’ve done what please_try_again has suggested go into xfce control settings i think it’s called; there is an option there called ‘default applications’; you need to go into here and change the default window manager to ‘xfwm4’.
As a side note, i find compiz a buggy joke and never use it. Another window manager commonly used to achieve ‘desktop effects’ is kde’s default window manager ‘kwin’. If you still desire desktop effects, have you considered kwin instead? Kwin can be used easily with other desktop environments.I always use kwin. I love it. I’m currently running gnome 2.32, with kwin, and i’m very satisfied.

As I saw with xfce 4.8 on openSUSE 12.1. the windowmanager which is xfwm4 is not working well
After exiting from windowmanager with desktop effects. When in xfce 4.8 you change to something like kwin
and you decided to revert back to xfwm4, sometimes it doesn’t start. The quick work around is to logout and login
and you have to be sure that xfwm4 is your default.

That did the trick, I am embarrassed I forgot this command. Too bad compiz does not work well with Xfce.

I think it does … or it did not that long ago. If you search the forum, you’ll find threads on the topic. There are people here who use compiz with xfce. I didn’t say it’s a good idea though.

Don’t know if you read my previous post, but have you considered kwin?

That would require the install of quite some part of the KDE4 base packages.