Thread: OpenSuse 12.1 / KDE 3.5 / questions

Default OpenSuse 12.1 / KDE 3.5 / questions

Hello to everyone, i´m new here so if i posted on the wrong place, please excuse
    I want to ask you if there would be any troubles if i install OpenSuse 12.1 with KDE 3.5 !! Do i get ¨full support¨ from all the apps ? Like ...Mozilla Firefox, Amarok, Skype, etc
    Should i install KDE 3.5.X or should i not ? Please give me some advices. I just dont like KDE 4.x.x
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: OpenSuse 12.1 / KDE 3.5 / questions

Welcome to the opensuse forums.

KDE 3 can we installed very easily with opensuse 12.1. I personally prefer KDE 4 but always install kde 3.5 as I sometimes like to use that for a change. You can use all the kde 4 applications with kde 3 and kde 3 applications with kde 4.

To add kde 3 to your install just do the following:

click on the kickoff (start) button / computer icon (on the botttom) / yast / type in the root password / software repos / add / community repos / put a tick in the kde3 one and then OK / software management / view / repos

then select the kde3 repo and add what you would like to install. would suggest that you install the main base packages. if you then log out of kde4 - there is an option button to selecr session and you will see kde3 shown

Default Re: OpenSuse 12.1 / KDE 3.5 / questions

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    Welcome to the opensuse forums.

KDE 3 can we installed very easily with opensuse 12.1. I personally prefer KDE 4 but always install kde 3.5 as I sometimes like to use that for a change. You can use all the kde 4 applications with kde 3 and kde 3 applications with kde 4.

To add kde 3 to your install just do the following:

click on the kickoff (start) button / computer icon (on the botttom) / yast / type in the root password / software repos / add / community repos / put a tick in the kde3 one and then OK / software management / view / repos

then select the kde3 repo and add what you would like to install. would suggest that you install the main base packages. if you then log out of kde4 - there is an option button to selecr session and you will see kde3 shown
    In thinking about doing that not really a fan of 4

How long will 3 be supported?

Can i use 3 and another user use 4?

Thx