Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE Configure Desktop won't open

Default KDE Configure Desktop won't open

I just installed openSUSE 12.1 KDE yesterday and noticed I can't get into "Configure Desktop" at all. I tried a solution I found on another forum by running KControl which didn't work. It doesn't appear when I right click on the desktop and if I run from the Kickoff Application launcher nothing happens. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: KDE Configure Desktop won't open

Try to verify if anything is broken with your packages :
    Code:
    zypper ve
    See if You've got some unwanted repositories :
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    And try to do the same with a new user account. Maybe You've got something broken in your .kde4

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Thanks for the reply, I tried all three and no luck. Only repositories are the default that came with openSUSE and VLC.

Missed the edit time so sorry for double post, but I wanted add all dependencies are present. Also when I run "kbuildsycoca4" I get the error: "kbuildsycoca4(13005) parseLayoutNode: The menu spec file contains a Layout or DefaultLayout tag without the mandatory Merge tag inside. Please fix your file. ", not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Blog Entries

Post the information that results from the two commands Greg gave you.

Try creating a new user account and test it to see if it has the same problem.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

"zypper ve
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied.
    "

zypper lr -d
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    ---+-------------------------------+----------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | VLC | VLC | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/vlc/SuSE/12.1/ |
    2 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/12.1/repo/non-oss |
    3 | download.opensuse.org-oss | Main Repository (OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/12.1/repo/oss |
    4 | download.opensuse.org-update | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/12.1 |
    5 | packman.inode.at-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/12.1/ |
    6 | repo-debug | openSUSE-12.1-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/12.1/repo/oss |
    7 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-12.1-Update-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/update/12.1 |
    8 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-12.1-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/12.1/repo/non-oss |
    9 | repo-oss | openSUSE-12.1-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/12.1/repo/oss |
    10 | repo-source | openSUSE-12.1-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/12.1/repo/oss |
    11 | repo-update | openSUSE-12.1-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/12.1 |

I also ran kdedesktopcheck perl script and passed all tests. I should also add I get "plasma unexpectedly closed opensuse shutdown" sometimes when I log off, restart, or shutdown.

Blog Entries

Although not the source of your trouble, I'm confident that your using the VLC repo will give you a run in with all kinds of trouble/issues. Only Packman is required for multi-media unless you are given some very specific direction otherwise by someone who actually knows what they are on about.
    The guide for 12.1 is here
    http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/en...ml#post2394434

I did ask you to test a new user login to see if this issue exists as it will tell us if the problem is system-wide or not.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Sorry for late reply had some network issues. I tried to post this much sooner. I tested earlier when Greg asked me to which failed but soon as I rebooted it worked for the new user and the second new user I just created.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Static2k View Post
    Sorry for late reply had some network issues. I tried to post this much sooner. I tested earlier when Greg asked me to which failed but soon as I rebooted it worked for the new user and the second new user I just created.
    But your normal user account still has issues then?

If so, are you prepared to start a new .kde4 ??
    Do you know what I mean?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Still have issues with current account. Do you mean to create a new account or reinstall kde?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast