Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

  1. #1

    Default backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    hello dear linux-community,

    i want to backup the e-mails that are stored in TBird folder -
    i have 1,6 GB and 12.299 E-Mails.

    How to store the smartest way.,

    Guess here i need to story on DVD with K3B



    do we have to taje care fir any other thinng (s)

    love to hear from you
    dilbert ;-)
    Wordpress-development - a Toolset: wpgear.org

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,450

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    Assuming they are in a hidden file on your /home partition, simply back up /home or, if that will not all go on a DVD, the relevant hidden files.

  3. #3

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    I have a similar problem, i use three email accounts. one msn.com with 25000 mails, one hotmail.com with near 5000 and a gmail account with 1500.

    1 - TB tells me to compact the folder because space problem ( delete all messages and compact the folder)... i have the mails stored in a folder in a hard disk with /Windows98/.thunderbird/iex4vmex.default/Mail/pop3.live.com and in Windows98 partition i have more than 5 gb of free space.... I dont understand why it tells me that theres no enough space...

    2 - Its a way to delete the lets say all mails except last 200... But i want ALL the messages in the server ( webserver). Because neither hotmail nor gmail are complaining about free space..... I want to delete in my local folder but not in "the cloud"...Because i have documents i have sent or received that i want to conserve.

    Any help would be apreciated

    Thanks

  4. #4

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    Quote Originally Posted by ejgutierrez View Post
    ... But i want ALL the messages in the server ( webserver). Because neither hotmail nor gmail are complaining about free space..... I want to delete in my local folder but not in "the cloud"...Because i have documents i have sent or received that i want to conserve.
    If you go into Edit -> Account Settings, then under the relevant account, Synchronisation & Storage, you should find all the options you need there for deleting off the local folder and retaining items on the server. It'll allow you to delete all but the most recent xxx, and so on.

    For backup you simply need copy the /home/.thunderbird folder on a Linux installation if you haven't changed any default storage settings. In my case I've shifted the storage location elsewhere so /.thunderbird simply holds details of the profile, a pointer to the storage location and a few miscellaneous bits like crash reports. Obviously if you've got the storage in another folder, back that up too. When or if you come to restore it all, copy the folders to the same locations in your new /home folder BEFORE launching Thunderbird for the first time. It'll automatically pick up your old profile and account settings. I've had to do this a few times and never had problems.

  5. #5

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    I should add that if you're backing up onto a CD or DVD with something like K3B in Linux, make sure you go into the Advanced burn properties and select the option to retain write permissions on the files. I would also advise making a second backup onto a spare computer or other medium and never relying on a single optical disc. Anything less than 2GB can be put on Spideroak for free.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    On 2012-04-11 10:26, ejgutierrez wrote:

    > 1 - TB tells me to compact the folder because space problem ( delete
    > all messages and compact the folder)... i have the mails stored in a
    > folder in a hard disk with
    > /Windows98/.thunderbird/iex4vmex.default/Mail/pop3.live.com and in
    > Windows98 partition i have more than 5 gb of free space.... I dont
    > understand why it tells me that theres no enough space...


    Because there is a per file size limit in FAT filesystems, IIRC, 4 GiB. The
    local copy of remote email can be much bigger than needed if you don't
    allow Th. to compact it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  7. #7

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    1 - The limit of 4gb is in FAT partitions only¿? So if i pass the folder to a ext3 partition the problem could be solved ?

    2 - To make a backup i have to move my /home/.thunderbird ( in my case i have a symbolic link to /windows98/.thunderbird ) and the local directory set in Account settings -> My account -> Server configuration is of the style:
    /Windows98/.thunderbird/iex4vmex.default/Mail/pop3.live.com ( my msn.com mail account)
    /Windows98/.thunderbird/iex4vmex.default/Mail/pop3.live-1.com ( my hotmail.com mail account)
    /Windows98/.thunderbird/iex4vmex.default/Mail/pop3.xtec.cat ( my xtec.cat mail account)

    So when i execute tb again it would download all the mails again no ??

    3 - Can someone describe the options exactly ? In Account settings -> my account -> Disk space it tells me that i can delete messages to save space disk, but it says that messages can ALSO be deleted in the remote server...So im afraid if i left the last 1000 mails the rest would be deleted in my computer and in the remote server...

    Imagebin - A place to slap up your images.

    Imagebin - A place to slap up your images.



    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-04-11 10:26, ejgutierrez wrote:

    > 1 - TB tells me to compact the folder because space problem ( delete
    > all messages and compact the folder)... i have the mails stored in a
    > folder in a hard disk with
    > /Windows98/.thunderbird/iex4vmex.default/Mail/pop3.live.com and in
    > Windows98 partition i have more than 5 gb of free space.... I dont
    > understand why it tells me that theres no enough space...


    Because there is a per file size limit in FAT filesystems, IIRC, 4 GiB. The
    local copy of remote email can be much bigger than needed if you don't
    allow Th. to compact it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    On 2012-04-11 19:36, ejgutierrez wrote:
    >
    > 1 - The limit of 4gb is in FAT partitions only¿? So if i pass the
    > folder to a ext3 partition the problem could be solved ?


    Yes, unless the code uses a longint byte pointer, then you will hit that
    limit in any filesystem.

    > 3 - Can someone describe the options exactly ? In Account settings ->
    > my account -> Disk space it tells me that i can delete messages to save
    > space disk, but it says that messages can ALSO be deleted in the remote
    > server...So im afraid if i left the last 1000 mails the rest would be
    > deleted in my computer and in the remote server...


    Do not delete, compact. If after the deletion thunderbird still complains,
    then you have to delete emails or move them to another folder.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  9. #9

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    I have compacted the folder but nothing seems to happen ( i havent deleted any mail)...

    1 - I have revised my system and the partition /Windows98 it has ext3. And i have 7.3 of 110 gb free... So the limit of 4gb it has no sense ? Perhaps a bug on thunderbird ?

    2 - Im afraid if i move the entire .thunderbird folder, then when i execute again tb it would download all the mails from the server again isnt it ?

    Hope someone could say the exact options i have to mark in order to have all the messages in the server and dont delete them...

    Thanks again

  10. #10

    Default Re: backup of mails in TBird - how to proceed

    There is something confusing about your setup. You say you want all the messages left on the server but deleted from your Local Folders, yet you appear to have pop3 settings for all three accounts. In that case, I'm not sure how any of it would be residing on the server aside from perhaps some Sent Items or other folders you haven't synchronised to a local machine. You should probably have each account set up as IMAP to achieve what you want to do. That way everything is left on the server and you are free to download just the headers or messages you want to your local machine.

    In my Account Settings dialog, the pop3 accounts only show the 'Disc Space' options you are talking about, which are limited, but the IMAP accounts have the Synchronisation & Storage parameters that I mentioned in a previous post, which give much more flexibility. You should look up the settings for IMAP accounts on all of your three providers and try to switch your accounts over to that, but I suspect all the mail now resides primarily on your local machine and so it would all have to be sent back up to the server(s). That could be complicated, if it's even possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •