Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No use swap partition issue

Default Re: No use swap partition issue

Thanks a lot. I get the following after entering: uname -a

Linux Jeff-PC 3.1.0-1.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 3 14:45:45 UTC 2011 (187dde0) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Under YaST/Software Management, there is: kernel-source----------The Linux Kernel Sources------------3.1.9-1.4.1-------371.5MiB

It means different version source? Could you tell whether there is conflict or not?
    I would say YES, conflict.

Open Yast - Software Management
    Search for kernel-source.
    Click on the Versions Tab.

I believe you will see 3.1.9-1.4.1-noarch installed
    Select the radio button for 3.1.0-1.2.1-noarch

While you have YAST open, select View-Patterns
    Select the Checkbox for "Base Development" if not already selected.

Select Accept, it should "downgrade" your source to the earlier version and add any missing packages for Base Development.

This may not be all the dependencies for atiupgrade, I believe is fails on the first dependency check so you may have to do this a few cycles.

Hi,

After I upgrade destop-3.1.0-1.2.1 to 3.1.9-1.4.1, atiupgrade upgraded by login as root. The problem is that I do not get the right info from fglrxinfo enter. YaST hardware info is still the old ATI info. I remember at the end of atiupgrade, it showed such as "package" something, but I do not see ati package in YaST. I also try to run atiupgrade again. It did not exec anything. It looks like it has been upgraded. How do I check further ATI driver?
    Thanks.

Hi,
    Here is the message at the end of atiupgrade:

Created directory fglrx-install.7DITvQ
    verifying archive integrity...All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Catalyst (TM) Proprietary Driver-8.783
    ATI Technologies Catalyst (TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Package

Generating package:SuSE/SUSE121-AMD64
    Error: Distro Version entered incorrectly or not supported.
    use--listpkg to identity valid distro versions
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.7DITvQ
    Too few arguments.
    At least one package name is required.
    remove (rm)[options],capability.

From these messages, it means that driver does not support the device in my computer?
    Where to run listpkg? Where is the downloaded ATI package? I want to check it.

Thanks again.

Hi,
    I just go to AMD website. It seems it does not have downloadable driver for CPU integrated video display. In my case,
    AMD Quad-Core A8-3850 Accelerated Processor
    Radeon™ HD 6550D processor-integrated graphics (Dual monitor capable)
    Anyone can help me on that video driver for SUSE 12.1? Thanks.

I am not sure what the issue is with your download - nor do I understand the statement
    I just go to AMD website. It seems it does not have downloadable driver for CPU integrated video display. In my case,
    AMD Quad-Core A8-3850 Accelerated Processor
    Radeon™ HD 6550D processor-integrated graphics (Dual monitor capable)
    I have downloaded the latest Catalyst driver several times with atiupgrade for my A8-3850.
    Installs and runs fine, so something else is wrong.

Hang in for a bit, I'll suggest P_T_A take a look here and see if he understands the message you posted above.

While you are waiting, look in Yast-Software management and post the version of atiupgrade you have installed.

Quote Originally Posted by freerjw View Post
    Hi,
    I make a little progress in atiupgrade. After I logged in as root, run atiupgrade. It complains:

directory /usr/src/linux-3.1.0-1.2 not found. Require kernel 3.1.0-1.2 source installed.

I check YaST/Software Management. I find that it has a kernel-source The Linux Kernel Sources 3.1.9-1.4.1 installed.
    Now fglrxinfo is not recognized by OS yet. How can I install atiupgrade? Thanks.
    Hi, This is how you install atiupgrade:
    Open a terminal and type :

Code:
    su -l 
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_12.1/   PTA 
    zypper refresh -r PTA 
    zypper in atiupgrade
    This is how you use it (in the same root terminal):

Code:
    atiupgrade
    But ... BEFORE running it, you need to upgrade to the latest kernel and reboot. That's the problem you're having. The kernel sources are OK, but the kernel is not, as explained in this post: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/o...ml#post2454436

I will make the warning more explicite in the next version and offer the user the possibility to upgrade the kernel first. Users who upgrade the kernel regularly don't have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by freerjw View Post
    Hi,

After I upgrade destop-3.1.0-1.2.1 to 3.1.9-1.4.1, atiupgrade upgraded by login as root. The problem is that I do not get the right info from fglrxinfo enter. YaST hardware info is still the old ATI info. I remember at the end of atiupgrade, it showed such as "package" something, but I do not see ati package in YaST. I also try to run atiupgrade again. It did not exec anything. It looks like it has been upgraded. How do I check further ATI driver?
    Thanks.
    atiupgrade creates a package of the fglrx driver and put it in the directory /usr/share/atiupgrade. It then installs this package and compiles the kernel module (compiling the module is not done by atiupgrade but by the rpm post-install script.) You can check if the package is intalled with:

Code:
    $ rpm -qa | grep fglrx
    You can check if the module is loaded with

Code:
    $ lsmod | grep fglrx
    and look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or run

Code:
    hwinfo --gfxcard
    to see which video driver is currently used.

Here's the checksum of Catalyst 12.3 installer downloaded by atiupgrade (you don't have to download it yourself):

Code:
    # md5sum /usr/share/atiupgrade/amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run 
    7c7b82f0d87a7ce9ee816b7d77212faa  /usr/share/atiupgrade/amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run
    If you run md5sum on this file on your computer, it should output the same checksum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123