Thread: os 12.1/gcc 4.6.2: 'FcInit', 'gdk_pixbuf_rotate_simple' cannot be linked (ld)

Default os 12.1/gcc 4.6.2: 'FcInit', 'gdk_pixbuf_rotate_simple' cannot be linked (ld)

Hello everybody!

Just a few days ago I did a clean install of opensuse 12.1 on my netbook (Asus Eee PC 1001HA, Atom N270, 1GB RAM) and configured my software development packages as usual. My old BlitzMax stuff doesn't compile when adding the modules for a graphical interface eg FLTK or GTK. This is the output:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.6/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: /home/entwickler/bin/blitzmax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.debug.linux.x86.a(fl_set_fonts.cxx.debug.linux.x86.o): undefined reference to symbol 'FcInit'
    /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.6/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: note: 'FcInit' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
    /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
    for FLTK respectively
    Code:
    /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.6/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: /home/entwickler/bin/blitzmax/mod/bah.mod/gtkmaxgui.mod/gtkmaxgui.debug.linux.x86.a(gtkgadget.bmx.debug.linux.x86.o): undefined reference to symbol 'gdk_pixbuf_rotate_simple'
    /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.6/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: note: 'gdk_pixbuf_rotate_simple' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 so try adding it to the linker command line
    /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
    for GTK.
    All necessary devel-packages are installed (does actually run perfectly without GUIs).

What's wrong? Have these files been moved to a new location? Can I somehow link the expected files to the old one? Where should they be? Is there any other way of solving this issue?

I am a bit surprised as I have opensuse 12.1 running as well on my desktop but continuously upgraded the system since 11.3. I guess the old files used by the linker haven't been removed during the upgrade so can still be used.

Many thanks for your advice!
    Simon

BTW: Packages in questions are the standard one shipped with opensuse: gdk-pixbuf-devel-2.24.0-2 and xorg-x11-libfontenc-devel-32bit-7.6-9.1 installed with zypper from the normal repos.

Default Re: os 12.1/gcc 4.6.2: 'FcInit', 'gdk_pixbuf_rotate_simple' cannot be linked (ld)

Just a little update: The upgraded opensuse 12.1 does have the same issue as well. I was wrong in my first post. This problem really seems to be new for the 12.1 release.

I also tried to downgrade to gcc-3.3 but that doesn't solve the problem either.

Any known bug or fix?

Default Re: os 12.1/gcc 4.6.2: 'FcInit', 'gdk_pixbuf_rotate_simple' cannot be linked (ld)

You did it wrong before, but the linker allowed the error. Since 12.1 the linker doesn't allow such errors anymore...
    The "try adding it to the linker command line" lines are telling you exactly how to fix it (no idea where you add the libraries in BlitzMax...)

Thank you! I actually figured it out this night, but was too tired to update the threat.
    The compilation now works but when executing the programme nothing appears. Weird. Will have to investigate this the weekend.
    Heard of people that have similar problems with Arch...