Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usless Gnome Desktop

Default Usless Gnome Desktop

I just installed the newest version of SUSE... 12.1 or something like that, and found that not only is KDE now a pain in the butt, but Gnome, which is the past has been an excellent desktop not kluged up with cutsy garbage, no longer is a useful desktop. By no longer useful, I mean that I can't put anything on it except open applications and windows. I no longer am allowed to drag files to it and use it as the center of my activities. Not only that, but there are no longer any responses to right clicks in the desktop, nor can I place applications or files on the top or bottom of the screen, or create my own side bars and drop downs and such. This "new and improved" desktop is a huge liability, and has taken away much of the user's control.
    I absolutely hate this "new improved" interface. I've been committed to Linux, primarily SUSE for quite a few years now. It remains my primary OS. At this point I am planning to revert to an earlier version of SUSE to get away from this GARBAGE...... "Improvement" seems to be an euphemism for taking things away from us, and making things cutsy / nonfunctional!!! I currently am using the old version on my old standby / reliable computer, and have not brought the new system on line.

Suggestions appreciated...............

Blog Entries

Default Re: Usless Gnome Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Try XFCE. Lots of people don't like Gnome 3, though others think it is great.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Try XFCE. Lots of people don't like Gnome 3, though others think it is great.
    Thanks........ I'll try it. I've used Windowmaker and ICE, but not installed XFCE. I will also look at weather I can live with KDE. KDE used to have the option of going to the "traditional" desktop........ I suppose that is no longer an option. I abandoned KDE when they started doing the transparency thing and hanging the silly little popup sidebars on everything on the desktop. These guys need to look at their "improvements" and assess weather they really "improve" anything. Every upgrade to almost any software removes user options and control, and tends to enforce a particular methodology on the user, rather than empowering the user and putting him in control. I have long contended that software needs to be subservient to the user, not the other way around!
    Howard

You can also try LXDE.

Or install cinnamon from the GNOME:Cinnamon repository. It runs on top on Gnome3 and gives it a more traditionnal look and feel. If it doesn't work for you, read this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...available.html

Blog Entries

And now we also have RazorQt, very slck, very fast.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

On 2012-04-02 16:16, Owly wrote:
    > Suggestions appreciated...............

I would not have used your words, but... I can't use that G3.
    Anyway, try XFCE, it looks like gnome did.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Or install cinnamon from the GNOME:Cinnamon repository. It runs on top on Gnome3 and gives it a more traditionnal look and feel. If it doesn't work for you, read this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...available.html
    Cinnamon is probably the best desktop option for folks who like the Gnome2 desktop.
    LinuxCounter Registered user #546318

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I just installed the newest version of SUSE... 12.1 or something like that, and found that not only is KDE now a pain in the butt, but Gnome, which is the past has been an excellent desktop not kluged up with cutsy garbage, no longer is a useful desktop. By no longer useful, I mean that I can't put anything on it except open applications and windows. I no longer am allowed to drag files to it and use it as the center of my activities. Not only that, but there are no longer any responses to right clicks in the desktop, nor can I place applications or files on the top or bottom of the screen, or create my own side bars and drop downs and such. This "new and improved" desktop is a huge liability, and has taken away much of the user's control.
    I absolutely hate this "new improved" interface. I've been committed to Linux, primarily SUSE for quite a few years now. It remains my primary OS. At this point I am planning to revert to an earlier version of SUSE to get away from this GARBAGE...... "Improvement" seems to be an euphemism for taking things away from us, and making things cutsy / nonfunctional!!! I currently am using the old version on my old standby / reliable computer, and have not brought the new system on line.

One question: is that so difficult to install gnome-tweak-tool (software.opensuse.org: Search Results) and dconf-editor (software.opensuse.org: Search Results You can tweak Gnome3 in less than 2 minutes and make it behave as you wish: desktop icons, drag and drop, side bars etc. Personally I love the "magic corner" and I think Gnome3 is great: fast, stable (never had a crash) and user-friendly...IF you have installed the two additional tools and played with them. I don't think it's a big deal to do that.
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

On 2012-04-03 09:16, riderplus wrote:
    > One question: is that so difficult to install gnome-tweak-tool
    > ('software.opensuse.org: Search Results' (http://tinyurl.com/6ojb4rf))
    > and dconf-editor ('software.opensuse.org: Search Results'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/72h2ror) You can tweak Gnome3 in less than 2 minutes
    > and make it behave as you wish: desktop icons, drag and drop, side bars
    > etc.

I can not tweak it to behave as I like. I want 4*3 workspaces, in rows and
    columns. I want a traditional menu. I want my weather applets on the top,
    and my application list. I want the bar with the running apps listed below,
    only of the apps in this workspace.

There is no "behave traditionally" switch. No, the failsafe mode is not it
    either. It is better, but not it.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast