If you couldn't use Opensuse, what distro would you use.

If for some reason, Suse stopped existing, and you were forced to select a different distro, what would it be?

For clarification, i’ve used the word ‘distro’ very lightly. I can’t include all distros so will try to just include the big influences.

Feel free to discuss, i’d love to hear reasons why too. I’m a previous Slackware user, and there wasn’t much i wasn’t happy with there so i’d probably go back to Slack.

I would use openSUSE (which I am using now). I guess it would have the fewest differences with the Opensuse you seem to use.

As I never tried one of the others you mention, how could I know? I am not spending time at making a decision that I most probably do not need for the next few years (if not longer). But as it is not easy to design a good poll, the “I do not know” option is missing.

Probably debian or mint, maybe because they appeal to the geek in me. I don’t like fedora, it reminds me of a hospital ward, all clean and soulless. I used to really like Ubuntu (lovely color) but for me ATM it’s off the rails.

As you did set up the poll the user nickname is visible to the vote. This is IMHO very bad because it raises the possibility that this “scoring” may be used for purposes other then this poll. So I would rather change this into an anonymous poll. There is no reason to do this as a public poll, if not trying to screen for users potential interests in other distros. So no vote from me for the poll, sorry. (I know you didn’t do this intentionally but then, openSUSE is quite prosperous, so why would we tell what we would do in case an improbable situation takes place… right?)

I haven’t voted, mostly because I am not sure. In the past, I have used slackware and redhat (before fedora was split off). I have briefly experimented with ubuntu and gentoo, but those would not be my choices.

With the problems that the forum is having (see http://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/forums-feedback/forums-comments-suggestions/472831-access-error.html ), I have to consider the possibility that the new owners of the opensuse name will allow the distro to die. So I do need a backup plan, just in case. I guess I should consider fedora, debian or mint.

What have the access errors of a forum migration have to do with the survival of an infrastructure that serves also as testing ground for suse SLED? That is quite astonishing tough as a statement. Did you have any indication that there is the ownership behind the access problems? :open_mouth: Other rumors I should know of??

Yes, it is new to me, as all polls until now were anonymous. But one should realy WARN when one sets up a poll that is not Anonymous!

They hint at a possible lack of support from Attachmate.

Hum, I would say they show a lack of importance the management give to the user forum of a distribution that has with SLED the focus on (paying $$$ :slight_smile: ) business users. The usual managerial myopia. Wouldn’t see this dramatic yet.

That would be baaaaad news :frowning: I don’t want openSUSE to have the same fate as Kubuntu and Mandriva. No, please!

To the OP: where is Puppy Linux???

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 14:16:02 +0000, nrickert wrote:

> stakanov;2453089 Wrote:
>> What have the access errors of a forum migration have to do with the
>> survival of an infrastructure that serves also as testing ground for
>> suse SLED?
>
> They hint at a possible lack of support from Attachmate.

That is categorically untrue.

Attachmate has stated they are fully behind both SUSE and openSUSE.

The forum access issues are largely due to some internal restructuring
taking place since the acquisition was completed.

Progress is being made - not as quickly as any of us would like, but it
is being made. Everyone understands there are issues, and those who are
in a position to work on resolving them are doing so - but they also have
to deal with issues in other parts of the infrastructure (we’re not the
only ones affected by the issues).

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

SuSE. Still got the 9.3 box set lying around.

I voted for Mint. I was a Mint user for several years. They have a very good community and a friendly forums. A few months ago, I tried
Mint 12 KDE. It was my first experience with KDE, and I loved it. However, in my opinion, Mint KDE is not as good as Mint Gnome or Xfce.
That’s why I migrated to openSUSE which is a really good KDE distro.

Did you try Mint LXDE? I have it along with my openSUSE.

If openSUSE were not available, I would probably choose Fedora KDE Spin. I prefer rpm distros as opposed to deb distros.

No, I never tried Mint LXDE. I have an old laptop running Mint 9 Xfce, and an old desktop running Mint Debian.
I can give LXDE a try when mint 9 reaches end of life.

I think I would give Arch a shot.

Stakanoy

As you did set up the poll the user nickname is visible to the vote. This is IMHO very bad because it raises the possibility that this “scoring” may be used for purposes other then this poll. So I would rather change this into an anonymous poll.

Gday, i set this up as i personally like seeing who voted for what, and didn’t think it would matter. You have brought up an important point however that i didn’t even consider and i agree with you. Unfortunately (i am new to this forum) i do not think i can change this now the poll is setup. If there is a way, tell me and i will cange it ass soon as i read how. Other wise, if a moderator has the power to, i’d be much appreciated if they would change it.

Riderplus

To the OP: where is Puppy Linux???

I couldn’t include every distro as the poll has a max of only 10 choices, and i had to make a decision of the ones to include in this poll and i chose not to include puppy.

Lak611

I prefer rpm distros as opposed to deb distros

My usual “big 3” are openSUSE, Fedora and Ubuntu. While I have fooled around with it some, my latest move has been in part to get away from Gnome & Unity and to something usable (by me) and stable.

If I had to move from openSUSE I would probably go to the Fedora KDE Spin. I started back into KDE with Fedora and really enjoyed it. Kubuntu works pretty good, but I’m hesitant at this point.

When Gnome & Unity get their acts straightened, I may take another look at them but right now I don’t have much of an interest anymore. Their workflow just doesn’t jive with me yet.

Then you should include an option like

• Other Linux distro.

That would be politically correct for other distros (if not for those who use them). Please consider that your list is not complete, and IMO you’ve excluded some big names from it.