Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

  1. #1

    Default Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    Hi,

    I am mostly new to xfce, but old to opensuse. I am currently running opensuse 12.1 with xfce on a vm for consideration to replace kde4 in production. I know kde is qt and gnome and xfce are gtk, so this may explain the differences in the yast gui menu content and features. I never used gnome on opensuse, so I do not know how supported it is by opensuse and if this is normal. I found an image of both here (scroll down to see gnome): Start-Up

    When talking to people about opensuse and desktops, should I say opensuse supports xfce or opensuse includes xfce?

    I have always skipped the gnome stuff in the past, but since gnome and xfce are goth gtk, can I expect the opensuse applications like yast to look and behave in a similar fashion?

    Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce (i.e., documentation, lists)?

    I am happy with xfce and opensuse. It installed and customized quickly. I found replacement apps. I'm just fine-tuning and drilling it :-)

    The one thing I can't test with xfce right now is multihead monitors. On opensuse 11.2, I had used the nvidia-settings program as described here: SDB:Multiple_Monitors
    It looks questionable according to this (scroll to: Xfce settings dialogs): Tour - Xfce

    Any opensuse xfce unique experiences or gotchas I'd love to hear.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,803
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    Just for consideration: if qt is installed, you can stick to/move to the qt interface for Yast. I do so, since I prefer the Yast qt interface.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    On 2012-03-26 22:36, Knurpht wrote:
    >
    > Just for consideration: if qt is installed, you can stick to/move to the
    > qt interface for Yast. I do so, since I prefer the Yast qt interface.


    Only the software management part is different between the two UIs, the
    rest have different appearance but the same behavior. It is possible to
    always use the qt or the gtk interface, but it is also possible to do so
    for a module:

    Code:
    ~ # yast2 --qt sw_single &
    ~ # yast2 --qt online_update &
    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    On 2012-03-26 20:26, opensuseforumorg42 wrote:

    > When talking to people about opensuse and desktops, should I say
    > opensuse supports xfce or opensuse includes xfce?


    Interesting question!

    > I have always skipped the gnome stuff in the past, but since gnome and
    > xfce are goth gtk, can I expect the opensuse applications like yast to
    > look and behave in a similar fashion?


    Yes, I do.

    > Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce (i.e.,
    > documentation, lists)?


    Not to my knowledge. Xfce is also a new, nice, discovery for me.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    Quote Originally Posted by opensuseforumorg42 View Post
    The one thing I can't test with xfce right now is multihead monitors. On opensuse 11.2, I had used the nvidia-settings program as described here: SDB:Multiple_Monitors
    It looks questionable according to this (scroll to: Xfce settings dialogs): Tour - Xfce
    In my experience with xfce it is better than kde4 in handling two monitors with nvidia graphic card.
    Just sorry to tell that in opensuse 12.1, In one of the updates, there was a problem with xfce 4.8
    using two monitors on my side. I did not search about it for now because I am contented so far using the
    kde 4.8.1 .
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  6. #6

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    In my experience with xfce it is better than kde4 in handling two monitors with nvidia graphic card.
    It depends what you are doing. In my experience LXDE is better than Xfce. Under LXDE, if you strech a window over two monitors, close the window, then open it again, it still has the same size instead of being resized to fit one monitor. That doesn't work in Xfce (we tried here). KDE was never an option.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    On 2012-03-27 06:06, please try again wrote:
    > It depends what you are doing. In my experience LXDE is better than
    > Xfce.


    If i understand correctly, lxde doesn't use the gnome libraries as xfce
    does :-?

    xfce is a nice environment for gnome 3 emigres.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-03-27 06:06, please try again wrote:
    > It depends what you are doing. In my experience LXDE is better than
    > Xfce.


    If i understand correctly, lxde doesn't use the gnome libraries as xfce
    does :-?
    Which gnome libraries do you have in mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    xfce is a nice environment for gnome 3 emigres.
    I would say mate is the perfect environment for gnome2 fans. Xfce is cheap twice, because it looks like an unpolished gnome and because it uses way too much resources for the few features it provides. LXDE looks like an unpolished Xfce but uses significantly less resources and handles the dualhead as a single desktop. So if you like two backgrounds, two screensavers and want to use your two monitors as two desktops, xfce is a good choice (but so is Gnome). If you need to use your two monitors as a single big desktop, LXDE is better. As I said, it depends on what you're doing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    On 2012-03-27 14:56, please try again wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2451673 Wrote:


    > Which gnome libraries do you have in mind?


    Everything. Xfc is based on gtk and about everything works. Like using
    nautilus instead of thunar.


    > robin_listas;2451673 Wrote:
    >>
    >> xfce is a nice environment for gnome 3 emigres.
    >>

    >
    > I would say mate is the perfect environment for gnome2 fans. Xfce is
    > cheap twice, because it looks like an unpolished gnome and because it
    > uses way too much resources for the few features it provides.


    I have resources to spare, that's not my problem.

    I can use features I want like having 3 rows by 4 columns of workspaces.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-03-27 14:56, please try again wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2451673 Wrote:


    > Which gnome libraries do you have in mind?


    Everything. Xfc is based on gtk and about everything works. Like using
    nautilus instead of thunar.
    LXDE uses GTK2 as well for its panel and applications.


    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post

    I can use features I want like having 3 rows by 4 columns of workspaces.
    Yes. I've seen this feature of the workspace switcher only in Gnome2, Mate and Xfce. Others have a fixed number of desktops though, including cinnamon since 1.4.0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •