Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce

Hi,

I am mostly new to xfce, but old to opensuse. I am currently running opensuse 12.1 with xfce on a vm for consideration to replace kde4 in production. I know kde is qt and gnome and xfce are gtk, so this may explain the differences in the yast gui menu content and features. I never used gnome on opensuse, so I do not know how supported it is by opensuse and if this is normal. I found an image of both here (scroll down to see gnome): Start-Up

When talking to people about opensuse and desktops, should I say opensuse supports xfce or opensuse includes xfce?

I have always skipped the gnome stuff in the past, but since gnome and xfce are goth gtk, can I expect the opensuse applications like yast to look and behave in a similar fashion?

Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce (i.e., documentation, lists)?

I am happy with xfce and opensuse. It installed and customized quickly. I found replacement apps. I’m just fine-tuning and drilling it :slight_smile:

The one thing I can’t test with xfce right now is multihead monitors. On opensuse 11.2, I had used the nvidia-settings program as described here: SDB:Multiple_Monitors
It looks questionable according to this (scroll to: Xfce settings dialogs): Tour - Xfce

Any opensuse xfce unique experiences or gotchas I’d love to hear.

Thank you.

Just for consideration: if qt is installed, you can stick to/move to the qt interface for Yast. I do so, since I prefer the Yast qt interface.

On 2012-03-26 22:36, Knurpht wrote:
>
> Just for consideration: if qt is installed, you can stick to/move to the
> qt interface for Yast. I do so, since I prefer the Yast qt interface.

Only the software management part is different between the two UIs, the
rest have different appearance but the same behavior. It is possible to
always use the qt or the gtk interface, but it is also possible to do so
for a module:

~ # yast2 --qt sw_single &
~ # yast2 --qt online_update &

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 2012-03-26 20:26, opensuseforumorg42 wrote:

> When talking to people about opensuse and desktops, should I say
> opensuse supports xfce or opensuse includes xfce?

Interesting question!

> I have always skipped the gnome stuff in the past, but since gnome and
> xfce are goth gtk, can I expect the opensuse applications like yast to
> look and behave in a similar fashion?

Yes, I do.

> Are there any specific opensuse resources for xfce (i.e.,
> documentation, lists)?

Not to my knowledge. Xfce is also a new, nice, discovery for me.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

In my experience with xfce it is better than kde4 in handling two monitors with nvidia graphic card.
Just sorry to tell that in opensuse 12.1, In one of the updates, there was a problem with xfce 4.8
using two monitors on my side. I did not search about it for now because I am contented so far using the
kde 4.8.1 .

It depends what you are doing. In my experience LXDE is better than Xfce. Under LXDE, if you strech a window over two monitors, close the window, then open it again, it still has the same size instead of being resized to fit one monitor. That doesn’t work in Xfce (we tried here). KDE was never an option.

On 2012-03-27 06:06, please try again wrote:
> It depends what you are doing. In my experience LXDE is better than
> Xfce.

If i understand correctly, lxde doesn’t use the gnome libraries as xfce
does :-?

xfce is a nice environment for gnome 3 emigres.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Which gnome libraries do you have in mind?

I would say mate is the perfect environment for gnome2 fans. Xfce is cheap twice, because it looks like an unpolished gnome and because it uses way too much resources for the few features it provides. LXDE looks like an unpolished Xfce but uses significantly less resources and handles the dualhead as a single desktop. So if you like two backgrounds, two screensavers and want to use your two monitors as two desktops, xfce is a good choice (but so is Gnome). If you need to use your two monitors as a single big desktop, LXDE is better. As I said, it depends on what you’re doing.

On 2012-03-27 14:56, please try again wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2451673 Wrote:

> Which gnome libraries do you have in mind?

Everything. Xfc is based on gtk and about everything works. Like using
nautilus instead of thunar.

> robin_listas;2451673 Wrote:
>>
>> xfce is a nice environment for gnome 3 emigres.
>>
>
> I would say mate is the perfect environment for gnome2 fans. Xfce is
> cheap twice, because it looks like an unpolished gnome and because it
> uses way too much resources for the few features it provides.

I have resources to spare, that’s not my problem. :slight_smile:

I can use features I want like having 3 rows by 4 columns of workspaces.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

LXDE uses GTK2 as well for its panel and applications.

Yes. I’ve seen this feature of the workspace switcher only in Gnome2, Mate and Xfce. Others have a fixed number of desktops though, including cinnamon since 1.4.0.

This made a tremendous difference, especially coming from kde rather than gnome. Thank you.

For anyone that needs this info:
Steps to change menu item, Application Menu -> Settings -> Administration -> YaST

1. ran the menu editor: alacarte
  2. in the left-hand side I expanded the tree: Xfce -> Settings -> Administration
  3. in the right-hand side I right-clicked “YaST” and selected “Properties”
  4. I grabbed the lower right-hand side to expand the window
  5. in the Command field I put quotes around “/sbin/yast2 --qt” and clicked Save

Also see xfce wiki: customize menu

I couldn’t find the menu editor on:
Application Menu -> Settings -> Preferences -> Settings Manager
It would be nice if it were there.