Thread: Any menu file navigator app in KDE4 like there was in KDE 3.5?

Default Any menu file navigator app in KDE4 like there was in KDE 3.5?

The one thing I miss more or less frequently in KDE4 is the folder/file navigator (it was not this name exactly) in KDE3.5 launcher menu.

I'd click on the KDE menu button, then one of the options was this file navigator, which would open a list of root (or user) folder/files with the last two or three recently used at the bottom, then clicking on a folder would open a new list, or in a file would open it, and so on.

Is there something like that for KDE4 (besides the recently used list which is has not the same functionality)?

Default Re: Any menu file navigator app in KDE4 like there was in KDE 3.5?

If you right click on the Gecko, there is an option to switch to the Classic Menu - is that what you are after?

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    If you right click on the Gecko, there is an option to switch to the Classic Menu - is that what you are after?
    No. In KDE 3.5 I could configure the menu launcher to show the "navigate files and folders" - I think it didn't come enabled by default - and have the functionality I described in the first post.

There's no such function in the configuration of the classic menu, only "search files and folders", that starts kfind.

I was thinking more in the lines of a menu applet to do this, but couldn't find one.

I miss it when I have to open Dolphin to navigate to a file I know the location of, but don't use so frequently as to warrant an icon or shortcut in the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    No. In KDE 3.5 I could configure the menu launcher to show the "navigate files and folders" - I think it didn't come enabled by default - and have the functionality I described in the first post.

There's no such function in the configuration of the classic menu, only "search files and folders", that starts kfind.

I was thinking more in the lines of a menu applet to do this, but couldn't find one.

I miss it when I have to open Dolphin to navigate to a file I know the location of, but don't use so frequently as to warrant an icon or shortcut in the desktop.
    If you open the kmenuedit there is a menu launcher called home (personal files)
    This is hidden by default and you can choose to unhide. When launching this
    from the kmenu it will use konqueror to show the files like in kde3.
    This is probably close to what you are looking for.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Thanks, john_hudson and Conram for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    If you open the kmenuedit there is a menu launcher called home (personal files)
    I couldn't find this in kmenuedit (or menu config) in both launcher and classic menu versions in KDE 4.8.1. Perhaps it's for 3.5 only?

However there is a widget called Quick Access Browser that is very similar, so it should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    Thanks, john_hudson and Conram for replying.

I couldn't find this in kmenuedit (or menu config) in both launcher and classic menu versions in KDE 4.8.1. Perhaps it's for 3.5 only?

However there is a widget called Quick Access Browser that is very similar, so it should suffice.
    I am using kde 4.8.1 also.
    Here is the command about the menu I mentioned.
    Code:
    kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Ah, that's the stock konqueror filebrowser mode in launcher's Menu Apps>System>File Manager.

The widget I mentioned above is a bit faster, however it still doesn't have the functionality of the navigator in KDE 3.5, on which you only had to hover over the file/folder list item to open another drop down list without closing the former. I'll see if I can find a screenshot of it somewhere.

here, at the bottom you see it. It was called Fast browser (navegador rápido). It's in spanish but you get the idea.

OT, 20 seconds after I posted #8 above I googled for KDE 3.5 Fast Browser and the first item was the very same #8 post.

Scary...