Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Extracting Password Protected RAR files using GUI-app

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    128

    Default Extracting Password Protected RAR files using GUI-app

    hi,
    I can extract the password protected files using command line (unrar e -p "file").
    but is there any way to do it using any gui app like ark?

  2. #2
    Chris Maaskant NNTP User

    Default Re: Extracting Password Protected RAR files using GUI-app

    rahulcvv wrote:

    >
    > hi,
    > I can extract the password protected files using command line (unrar e
    > -p "file").
    > but is there any way to do it using any gui app like ark?
    >


    Ark and file-roller will do this just fine.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Extracting Password Protected RAR files using GUI-app

    Ark and file-roller will do this just fine.

    Since i'm using KDE desktop i'm not sure I can use 'file-roller'.
    ark doen't work, I tried that one.
    Is this any bug in ark.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sri mayapur, west bengal, india
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: Extracting Password Protected RAR files using GUI-app

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:46:02 +0530, rahulcvv
    <rahulcvv@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    >> Ark and file-roller will do this just fine.

    >
    >
    > Since i'm using KDE desktop i'm not sure I can use 'file-roller'.
    > ark doen't work, I tried that one.
    > Is this any bug in ark.
    >


    when was the last time you updated KDE, and which version are you using? i
    remember that ark didn't want to start for a while, with no error message
    from the command line, during an update from one minor KDE version to
    another, while the repos hadn't finished publishing yet. that got solved
    though.

    and you definitely can use file-roller, but you may have to install a
    couple of dependencies. in my case it wouldn't require any additional
    dependencies, but i've already got a few GNOME app.s installed on my KDE
    desktop. one package i would be careful with is tracker, since that might
    switch on some background file scanning which could put strain on your
    system.

    --
    phani

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Extracting Password Protected RAR files using GUI-app

    Am 24.03.2012 20:26, schrieb rahulcvv:
    >
    > hi,
    > I can extract the password protected files using command line (unrar e
    > -p "file").
    > but is there any way to do it using any gui app like ark?
    >
    >

    Just open the rar file with ark on KDE by clicking on it, when you
    select to unpack the files it gives you a dialog to enter the password
    (at least it does that for me with ark 2.18.

    --
    PC: oS 11.4 x86_64 | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.6.0 |
    GeForce GT 420
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 12.1 x86_64 | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | 3GB | KDE 4.8.1
    | nVidia ION
    eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10 |
    xf86-video-geode

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,845
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Extracting Password Protected RAR files using GUI-app

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_helm View Post
    Am 24.03.2012 20:26, schrieb rahulcvv:
    >
    > hi,
    > I can extract the password protected files using command line (unrar e
    > -p "file").
    > but is there any way to do it using any gui app like ark?
    >
    >

    Just open the rar file with ark on KDE by clicking on it, when you
    select to unpack the files it gives you a dialog to enter the password
    (at least it does that for me with ark 2.18.

    --
    PC: oS 11.4 x86_64 | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.6.0 |
    GeForce GT 420
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 12.1 x86_64 | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | 3GB | KDE 4.8.1
    | nVidia ION
    eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10 |
    xf86-video-geode
    It's been like that for ages. Click unpack, enter password, done.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Extracting Password Protected RAR files using GUI-app

    My ark is 2.16.
    more over, the file name(of the content) is also encrypted in the rar file.

    When I tried to open the file, it stuck. Don't prompt for any password.

    I can send you one such file, if u gave me the address, or suggest any way to share it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •