YaST fails to uninstall totem

Hi and thanks if you can help

I installed totem to try and get a internet radio to work with chromium and it did not work but it made a mess of my multimedia system. Now Kaffeine only plays the first 10 to 15 sec of a movie an Vlc will not have sound unless I reboot the computer and play one movie then no more sound unless I reboot the system. I also have to keep moving the mouse to keep the screen saver from kicking in or the sound will not work if it kicks in and will have to reboot to have sound back only totem plays with sound but even with it have to wiggle the mouse to keep screen saver out. I am farly new to Yast but have used Linux for over 8 years so can use a terminal. So how to get raid of totem and get my multimedia back in order. When I have tried to use Yest to remove totem it just crashes, when I say crashes goes away no messages and totem is still in the system.

Thanks

On 2012-03-22 00:26, Grumpywolfe wrote:

> saver out. I am farly new to Yast but have used Linux for over 8 years
> so can use a terminal. So how to get raid of totem and get my multimedia
> back in order.

You say that yast fails to uninstall totem, but you do not say what error
you get.

I can not but wonder what you have done to make the screensaver pop in seconds.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

There is no error message it just goes away

So, installing Totem does not suddenly crash your system unless there is a lot more to the story or your hard drive is going bad or your installation media was bad or your computer is simple not compatible with openSUSE. If this was my computer, I would surely start over again and reinstall openSUSE and not do any crazy things just because one thing does not work.

If you have not seen the following article, you need to read it through before you take any other action.

http://forums.opensuse.org/content/107-re-multi-media-restricted-format-installation-guide.html

And, if you have not spent much time with your present copy of openSUSE, consider replacing it with a complely new installation. I might even make a LiveCD from here: software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.1 and then use it to remove the installed copy from my hard drive and start all over. If the LiveCD does not work for you, an installed copy will likely not work for you either. If you want to tell us more about your PC and its installation, we could walk you through a new install.

Thank You,

On 2012-03-22 02:46, Grumpywolfe wrote:
>
> There is no error message it just goes away

Launch it from a terminal

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Hi. This is how I removed totem:
sudo zypper rm totem-plugin-zeitgeist totem-plugins totem totem-browser-plugin-gmp totem-browser-plugin

Thanks for all reply’s I did get it removed using the trem window under root thought YaST this time but still having problems with Vlc sound only works after reboot for one movie and then not working until reboot and kaffine will not play a movie when you start it thought dolphin but if you bring up kaffine and start a movie thought the menu in it then the movie plays fine. So still have some issue to work out with multimedia.

Again thanks for the reply’s

It’s ok if you still have problems. Try other movie players. Linux offers many alternatives, just do a search like media.

Well when I first installed Vic I was very happy with it but then when I installed totem and things went wrong and start having problems. Just wnat to get it back to where it was.