Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Opening installed applications in SUSE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    81

    Default Opening installed applications in SUSE

    Hi,Today, I installed EAGLE pcb layout editor from CADSOFT in opensuse 12.1 with GNOME-3.Now, i cant find the application listed under "applications"I have to manually go to /opt/eagle-6.0/bin/eagle to execute it.Pressing Alt+F2 and typing eagle also wont work! So, to open the software from the command line (By pressing ALT+F2 and typing "eagle") what must I do?Thankyou for your help.
    Religion is just another habit of human race.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,120

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    As "installing" is a general English word that can mean a lot, even when you narrow it down to the ICT world and further o Linux, please explain from where, which what and all other details about that installing.

    I ask because generaly installing a package with YaST or zypper from the repos will be found in the main menu (at least when the package contains an application to be run in a GUI environment by the end-user).
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:36:02 GMT, thinkanish
    <thinkanish@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    >Hi,Today, I installed EAGLE pcb layout editor from CADSOFT in opensuse
    >12.1 with GNOME-3.Now, i cant find the application listed under
    >"applications"I have to manually go to /opt/eagle-6.0/bin/eagle to
    >execute it.Pressing Alt+F2 and typing eagle also wont work! So, to open
    >the software from the command line (By pressing ALT+F2 and typing
    >"eagle") what must I do?Thankyou for your help.


    Try starting here:

    http://www.cadsoftusa.com/downloads/

    I know lots of people that like it fairly well. Their DRM will kill your
    reputation if you run a crack.

    ?-)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    As "installing" is a general English word that can mean a lot, even when you narrow it down to the ICT world and further o Linux, please explain from where, which what and all other details about that installing.

    I ask because generaly installing a package with YaST or zypper from the repos will be found in the main menu (at least when the package contains an application to be run in a GUI environment by the end-user).
    Actually, they didnt provide a one click install or i dont know how to add those repos and install via zypper.
    I installed it from a .run file which is downloaded from their website.
    Religion is just another habit of human race.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,120

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkanish View Post
    Actually, they didnt provide a one click install or i dont know how to add those repos and install via zypper.
    I installed it from a .run file which is downloaded from their website.
    Then you depend completly on what tha maker of that a.run file (whatever it ma be) have put in it. And questioning there if they would be so kind to add something that would install in Linux standard of menus.

    You can of course also yourself add a menu item in the place you like, that executes the command you use now in the CLI.

    O yes, and next time please explain from the start what you did and let not others guess, have to ask, etc. That takes a lot of time of the volunteers and it will not help in you getting an answer very soon.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    You can of course also yourself add a menu item in the place you like, that executes the command you use now in the CLI.
    Can you explain me how to do this - I mean, when I install any app, how to add command to CLI?

    O yes, and next time please explain from the start what you did and let not others guess, have to ask, etc. That takes a lot of time of the volunteers and it will not help in you getting an answer very soon.
    Sorry, I will follow that from next post.
    Religion is just another habit of human race.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,120

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkanish View Post
    Can you explain me how to do this - I mean, when I install any app, how to add command to CLI?
    I am a KDE users, thus I do not know the details in Gnome. But in KDE you start with right click on the main menu icon. It then shows something like "Configure program", etc. All rather logical. I guess Gnome functions aabout the same, but maybe a Gnome user acn offer the details.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    On 2012-03-24 10:16, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > thinkanish;2450847 Wrote:
    >> Can you explain me how to do this - I mean, when I install any app, how
    >> to add command to CLI?
    >>
    >>

    > I am a KDE users, thus I do not know the details in Gnome.


    Similar, right click on the traditional menu, and you get the option to
    edit the menu. Not in the new style non-menu. The application is intuitive.
    It acts immediately, you can revert to original but not save versions.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-03-24 10:16, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > thinkanish;2450847 Wrote:
    >> Can you explain me how to do this - I mean, when I install any app, how
    >> to add command to CLI?
    >>
    >>

    > I am a KDE users, thus I do not know the details in Gnome.


    Similar, right click on the traditional menu, and you get the option to
    edit the menu. Not in the new style non-menu. The application is intuitive.
    It acts immediately, you can revert to original but not save versions.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
    Hi, thanks for your answer.
    But sorry, I cannot understand you.

    All I want is this: When I press Alt+F2, in the "Please enter a command" window if I type eagle, it must open the application. What Must I do for that.
    Using gnome-3 with opensuse 12.1
    Religion is just another habit of human race.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Opening installed applications in SUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkanish View Post
    All I want is this: When I press Alt+F2, in the "Please enter a command" window if I type eagle, it must open the application. What Must I do for that.
    Using gnome-3 with opensuse 12.1
    Hi,

    in your "bin" directory, simply create a symlink to your executable file.

    I understand from post#1 that this is /opt/eagle-6.0/bin/eagle.


    Type "ln --help" to find you how to create the link.
    HTH

    Lenwolf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •