mysql pam auth can't find(?)

Hey, I’ve been trying to get mysql to use usernames\passwords I have somewhere else. I found out I can, from this article. It says where the authentication plugin needs to be installed, but there is no mention of where to get it\compile it\install it from.

Here is the location of my plugin dir

Variables (--variable-name=value)
and boolean options {FALSE|TRUE}                  Value (after reading options)
------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

plugin-dir                                        /usr/lib64/mysql/plugin/

And if I do an ls of the plugin directory, I get this:

# ls /usr/lib64/mysql/plugin/
adt_null.so     auth_test_plugin.so  ha_example.so         mypluglib.so          qa_auth_server.so
auth.so         ha_archive.so        ha_federated.so       qa_auth_client.so     semisync_master.so
auth_socket.so  ha_blackhole.so      libdaemon_example.so  qa_auth_interface.so  semisync_slave.so

My guess is that auth.so is what I want, but if it is should I make a suggestion\request to bugzilla so it is more clear what this plug in does.

If it isn’t auth.so, then how do I get it?

Oh, before I forget:

#uname -a
Linux webserver 2.6.37.6-0.11-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-12-19 23:39:38 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#cat /etc/SuSE-release
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11.4
CODENAME = Celadon

# mysqld --version
mysqld  Ver 5.5.21-log for Linux on x86_64 (Source distribution)

Let me know there is anything else I can provide…
Thanks for any help in advance.

I am not exactly sure what you try to accomplish - please explain in more detail what you want to do, but I am almost sure auth.so is not what you look for if you want to use the NIX usernames / passwords (the system usernames / password) authenticate through a / more mysql databases which stores the usernames and passwords.

For that I think you need pam_mysql.

Where to get the rpm: do a search on search.opensuse.org/search

Cheers.

So, I have a LDAP server that I use to authenticate with when I want to log on.

I want to be able to use those same credentials to login into mysql (something like: auth sufficient pam_ldap.so).

Does that make more sense?

Thank you for the responding!

Hello again.

It makes sense but I have no idea if this is already available as free/community or commercially.

Have a look here, this might help: authentication - Using LDAP (AD) for MySQL authenication - Stack Overflow

Thisalso looks a little bit like what you want to achieve - try and see if you can do it with pam_mysql and pam ldap instead of the comercial oracle mysql plugin.

Cheers.