Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF Preview in Dolphin

Default PDF Preview in Dolphin

My apologies if this is too basic/everybody already knows it, but I just found how to do this since moving to KDE 4.

On KDE 4.7 and 4.8, Dolphin won't show preview in the info panel or thumbnails in visualization mode of PDF files.

To get it back install the package kdegraphics-thumbnailers from your KDE repo, then log out of KDE and in again, open Dolphin>Configuration>General>Visualizations tab, and tick show previews for Postscript, PDF and DVI. There are other options you may want to check out too, like HTML.

If you are on light hardware, you may want to lower the file size limit of "previewable" files.

Tested in oS 11.4 64bit with KDE4.8, should work with 4.7 also.

Default Re: PDF Preview in Dolphin

Thank you very much!! I really need that!

I love it.. Thanx
    (12.1 KDE4.8.1)
    MS user 1988-2008, Linux user 1998-present, openSUSE user since 2004
    (The first computer I used had a punch card reader)

Blog Entries

On KDE 4.7 and 4.8, Dolphin won't show preview in the info panel or thumbnails in visualization mode of PDF files.

To get it back install the package kdegraphics-thumbnailers from your KDE repo, then log out of KDE and in again, open Dolphin>Configuration>General>Visualizations tab, and tick show previews for Postscript, PDF and DVI. There are other options you may want to check out too, like HTML.
    I have had the previews for various files enabled for a long time now (openSUSE 11.4, KDE 4.6.5). I don't have the kdegraphics-thumbnailers package installed, so I'm not convinced it is necessary, but perhaps later versions of KDE4.x.y do require it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I have had the previews for various files enabled for a long time now (openSUSE 11.4, KDE 4.6.5). I don't have the kdegraphics-thumbnailers package installed, so I'm not convinced it is necessary, but perhaps later versions of KDE4.x.y do require it?
    To add: I installed kdegraphics-thumbnailer, did not log out, just checked the option, works. Thanks anyway, this was on my list of things to have a look at when having some spare time.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    From some posts I read in ubuntu and arch fora, it seems that it worked by default until 4.6, but was moved to the thumbnailers package from 4.7 on.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    To add: I installed kdegraphics-thumbnailer, did not log out, just checked the option, works.
    AFAIR the new options on the visualization tab only appeared after I restarted KDE, but perhaps I didn't notice it.

Thumbs up Re: PDF Preview in Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    To get it (PDF previews) back install the package kdegraphics-thumbnailers from your KDE repo, then log out of KDE and in again, open Dolphin>Configuration>General>Visualizations tab, and tick show previews for Postscript, PDF and DVI. There are other options you may want to check out too, like HTML.
    Thank you for posting that most helpful information. You saved me a lot of frustrating hassle.

Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear, United Kingdom.

I have the kdegraphics thumbnailer installed but no option available in Dolphin configuration settings to make PDF or postcript previews visible. I am using Plasma 5.
    For years already, happily using
    Tumbleweed - Plasma 5, GNOME, i3

Please, please. This is an three years old thread. You can not expect it to be up-to-date with todays software versions. Neither can you expect that many people still watch this thread for new posts. When you have a problem, please start a new thread in the correct (sub)forum (NOT the Unreviewed Howto anf FAQ!) with a good title with keywords. Then you have the best chance to draw the attention of the people you need.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast