Libre Ofice has been upgraded to 3.4.5.

The upgrading of Libre Office to 3.4.5 has taken place quite some time back. But we haven’t had the upgrade effected in openSUSE. Anyone knows more about it?

RSP2

Sorry. I meant LibreOffice-3.5.0.

RSP2

You do not even tell which openSUSE you have (and as your story is about versions, you will understand it can be important).

But generaly during the lifetime of an openSUSE version (e.g. 12.1) software will not be upgraded (except for security and recommened updates offerede by the Update repo). This to have a stable OS. The next version of openSUSE will then probably have a newer level of some software (but tnot nessecaraly the newest).

When you want to have the newest (or even “to be release”) version of software you can search for them outside the official OSS and non-OSDS repos in the OBS repos: software.opensuse.org: Search Results

Sorry! I am using openSUSE-11.4. I had come across a news item that LibreOffice has been upgraded to 3.5.0. I use LibreOffice a lot in my work. I learned that there are some improvement in detecting grammatical errors in writing in the new version. My question was: Is there a chance for upgrading to LibreOffice-3.5.0? If not is it possible to install the new version on openSUSE-11.4, from source code?

Regards

RSP2

You can get the latest LIbreOffice here.

Per libreoffice.org:

LibreOffice <= 3.4.4 can not be updated to 3.5.x directly; first, it must be updated to 3.4.5 or uninstalled

On 2012-03-14 15:26, caprus wrote:
>
> Per libreoffice.org:
>> LibreOffice <= 3.4.4 can not be updated to 3.5.x directly; first, it
>> must be updated to 3.4.5 or uninstalled

Why is that? Have they done big changes we should know?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Why is that? Have they done big changes we should know?

While the features page contains the quote I pasted above I now see that the release notes say:

For Windows users that have LibreOffice prior to version 3.4.5 installed, either uninstall that beforehand, or upgrade to 3.4.5. Otherwise, the upgrade to 3.5.0 may fail.

So perhaps This doesn’t apply to Linux users. Personally I’m not in a hurry to upgrade but if I were going to I sure would check it out before proceeding further.

>You can get the latest LIbreOffice here.

Thanks lak611,

I have read the README in the downloaded package of version 3.5. It says that for installing the new (3.5) version, we have to uninstall the current version. Why should that be so? It should be automatically done by the new version.

Regards,

RSP2

On 2012-03-15 02:46, rsp2 wrote:

> I have read the README in the downloaded package of version 3.5. It
> says that for installing the new (3.5) version, we have to uninstall the
> current version. Why should that be so? It should be automatically done
> by the new version.

It may be a reason for the rpm NOT to be published by openSUSE, lest
something is destroyed by automatic updates.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thanks a lot. I have installed LibreOffice-3.5 and it is working satisfactarily.

Regards,

RSP2