Thread: nautilus file operations

Default nautilus file operations

when moving/copying(most noticeable when dealing with more than 10GB of files) files from one drive to another, the system becomes sluggish or hangs altogether until the file operations are complete. is anyone else facing such an issue?

i'm using opensuse 12.1 x86_64 gnome 3.2.1

Blog Entries

Default Re: nautilus file operations

Quote Originally Posted by nishant_no2 View Post
    when moving/copying(most noticeable when dealing with more than 10GB of files) files from one drive to another, the system becomes sluggish or hangs altogether until the file operations are complete. is anyone else facing such an issue?

i'm using opensuse 12.1 x86_64 gnome 3.2.1
    So its not all that normal on a regular basis to be moving gigabytes of data all around your PC. Depending on the PC CPU speed, number of CPU cores and the speed and interface of the hard drive in question, lags of some sort while the copy proceeds would be considered normal. I can say that in times past, this was kind of normal. With my Intel i7, I can do a lot of copying without seeing much delay going on. In order to understand the problem better, why not tell us more about your computer? I have a bash script that can provide a lot of helpful info you can find here:

H.I. Hardware Information - A Bash script to install and run inxi with default options! - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Post the info from your system here in a message and lets see what you got.

Thank You,
    Last edited by jdmcdaniel3; 11-Mar-2012 at 17:52.
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

I never had such a problem when using opensuse 11.4 with gnome 2.32

Blog Entries

Smile Re: nautilus file operations

Quote Originally Posted by nishant_no2 View Post

I never had such a problem when using opensuse 11.4 with gnome 2.32
    I wonder what is the max speed of your CPU? Your clock speed is quoted as being 1200MHz. I have a CPU speed utility that can be used to setup your maximum speed, which does have an effect on your PC operation.

C.F.U. - CPU Frequency Utilitiy - Version 1.10 - For use with the cpufrequtils package - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Blog Entries

Smile Re: nautilus file operations

If you use the CFU bash utility like I posted above, you can set your speed Governor to Performance and see how well your copy process works then.

Thank You,