remote desktops for 2 people

I have two users on a OpenSuSE server I’m running (still running 11.1) and normally they access with NoMachine client. They have to tunnel through a router also. NoMachine uses the SSH port so how can two people log in at the same time? I port forwarded the router so incoming connections across the LAN work OK - but I don’t think two connections can use the router or OS ports at the same time, can they? I believe I would have to make multiple open ports in the router, and make the NoMachine server software watch them all, and set up each person’s client to use a different port. Can someone knowledgeable comment?
Thank You!!!
patty

Of course, because a random source port number is dynamically allocated for each process. That’s how TCP/IP works. But you can also run ssh on several ports if you wish. I use different destination ports for “plain” ssh, No Machine NX and FreeNX. It is only necessary if you want to run both NoMachine and FreeNx servers on the same host, so FreeNX will forward incoming connections on a specific port to the NoMachine server.

No. You don’t have to worry about that. The problem is that the free edition of NoMachine is limited to one connection per host. Use FreeNX! It doesn’t have such limitation … or use both. The version of FreeNX available in my repo works so far for me and several others who use it.

Hi - I’m having some trouble with NoMachine, and went looking at FreeNX - but it seems to have been orphaned - the server, anyway, in 2008. I didn’t find it in a repo anywhere…

Please_try_again’s repository for 12.1 is here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_12.1/

but I note you are running openSUSE-11.1. That may cause a problem as support for 11.1 dropped a long time back.

You may need to try and custom re-compile FreeNx yourself, from an .src version of FreeNx in please_try_agains repository. The command to rebuild FreeNx would be something like:

rpmbuild --rebuild FreeNX-0.7.3-19.1.src.rpm

I don’t know if the .src files in the different openSUSE directories are different, but if it were me I would use the one from the 11.3 repository if trying for openSUSE-11.1 …

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_11.3/src/

… having stated that, I likely still would not be using 11.1 (which I recall has a 2.6.27 kernel … unless one has applied an evergreen kernel update). There are differences between 11.1 and 11.3 you could constantly run into dependencies problems and/or other problems that can not be easily solved.

Hi CPU! I had just installed 12.1 so the earlier reference to 11.x was wrong. Thank you very much for the repository link!!! I uninstalled nomachine (through YaST) and installed freeNX from that repo. Then I issued

#> nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key --clean --purge

SAVED!!! (I don’t know what I’d do without these forums…) It seems to work fine. I hope it stays that way!

Patti