cpu fan control for acer aspire 5715Z ? Heat Problem.

Hi there,

I successfully installed opensuse 12.1.
After heavy load the computer stops for cpu temperature reasons. I also do not hear any cpu fan “running”.
I installed the sensors package and can read the sensors:

maggy@linux-hrxi:~> sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +0.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +52.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +55.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

ACPI Modules:
aggy@linux-hrxi:~> lsmod | grep acpi
acpi_cpufreq 14206 0
mperf 12603 1 acpi_cpufreq
processor 43803 3 acpi_cpufreq

Also the services/daemons for hw monitors are running : ksysguard, lmsensors.
gkrellm can also read out any sensor information.

But I cant control the cpu fan in order to cool the cpu down. Temperature can easily reach 90°C.

For eaarlier versions of Suse there was a module for ibm thinkpads, but this doesnt seem to work in 12.1.

Any help is apreciated !
Thanks in advance,
Christoph

First and foremost, anyone having over heating problems with their laptop or PC and the computer is over a year old and you have never blown the dust out of its heat sinks, you should immediately turn off your computer and visit your local PC shop, Best Buy, Fry’s, Office Depot, Office Max or any other such location and purchase at least one, but most likely two, cans of duster spray. For a PC, shut off power and unplug the Power Cable. For a Laptop, turn off, unplug the power adapter and perhaps pop out the main battery. Next, blow out the dust from all heat sinks, around the CPU, the Graphics card and the Power Supply. For a Laptop, blast air into any vents around the PC, first in one side and then the other. One can be amazed at the amount of dust that can build up. Do not dismiss doing this out of hand. If you search the forums here, you will find example after example of amazed users finding dust build up they did not know was going on. I suggest you buy two cans because this stuff gets very cold and will freeze up, reducing the air flow until it warms back up to room temperature.

Now, once you know you have a clean PC, lets see what else you can do. One thing is for sure, the faster the CPU runs, the hotter that it can get. I suggest you read through oldcpu’s blog on power issues and the Linux kernel here:

GNU/Linux and openSUSE power management regressions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I would read through this blog, top to bottom. Now, I do have a couple of ways to set your CPU speed, which again is a big part of the heat you are getting. Here are two blogs that can help:

YaST Power Management - Control Your CPU Energy Usage How To & FAQ - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

C.F.U. - CPU Frequency Utilitiy - Version 1.10 - For use with the cpufrequtils package - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Finally, its for sure the kernel version you have installed effects how well your CPU speed and heat control works. You can install the latest stable kernel 3.2.9 from kernel.org using my bash script here:

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.62 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Hi Chris,
Had the same issue, all you need to do is update the bios to version 1.45 which is available from Acers support site