Thread: enable windows key to activate menu

Default enable windows key to activate menu

hello I have opensuse 12.1 + KDE 4.8 and I want to activate windows key (meta key) to start up menu (kickoff launcher menu), how can I do it ????
    thanks so much

Default Re: enable windows key to activate menu

Welcome to the forums. The Windows key may already be assigned to another function - it is in my KDE setup. Have a look in System settings>Input devices>Keyboard>Advanced.

thanks so much !!!.... Well I new using OpenSuse, and I don't know to many things !!!
    Thanks so much John !!

Quote Originally Posted by abraham03 View Post
    thanks so much !!!.... Well I new using OpenSuse, and I don't know to many things !!!
    Thanks so much John !!
    Just out of curiousity ... Did that really work for you? I thought that with a single modifier keypress it weren't possible - or at least not easily possible - to activate the kickoff menu. A Qt thing IIRC, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    Just out of curiousity ... Did that really work for you? I thought that with a single modifier keypress it weren't possible - or at least not easily possible - to activate the kickoff menu. A Qt thing IIRC, or something like that.
    This is the same I observed. I am unfortunately not able to only enable anything to trigger with just the Windows key.
    - Itai
    http://www.cybernium.net

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    This is the same I observed. I am unfortunately not able to only enable anything to trigger with just the Windows key.
    - Itai
    http://www.cybernium.net

Hello, well I tried but not !!!... well if you know let me know
    thanks so much !

I've stumbled about the solution recently in this article: Open Application Launcher with Super key | Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?. I'm using it slightly modified, though: I changed the code to map "Super_L=Super_L|F1" (instead of "Super_L=Alt_L|F1").