Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Desktop objects not visible

  1. #1

    Default Desktop objects not visible

    Yes, I *have* searched the forums, & found a similarly titled thread but not the same problem.
    I like to use the desktop as such - put files temporarily on it until either properly 'filed' or deleted. Like downloads, images reduced just for e-mailing, screenshots etc - because the Desktop is always shown in 'save as' dialogues.. With my OpenSuse 12.1 such items are *not* represented on the screen desktop, but only in the ~/Desktop directory. Which itself contains a file SuSE.Desktop.

    Why this change of Desktop behaviour? Is it just me? Any way to see a file saved to Desktop *on* the desktop - the normal behaviour?

    TIA Lewis Smith

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Desktop objects not visible

    Are you using Gnome, KDE or some other window manager?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  3. #3

    Default Re: Desktop objects not visible

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    Are you using Gnome, KDE or some other window manager?
    Standard install, so KDE.

    Lewis Smith

  4. #4

    Default Re: Desktop objects not visible

    I think you have to change your desktop settings to folder view.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,843

    Default Re: Desktop objects not visible

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    I think you have to change your desktop settings to folder view.
    Yes, the "desktop layout" option shown when you right-click the desktop is *not* the old "desktop workspace" most people know from windows/KDE3.
    The nice point of the "folder view" layout is that it's not restricted to the desktop folder, it can be any folder you choose. And since you can have a different layout in each workspace, you can set each (or all) workspace to a different folder.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Desktop objects not visible [SOLVED]

    Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    I think you have to change your desktop settings to folder view.
    Thanks for the hint. I had already discovered this, and did not like it. However, it seems as if one has to make do with it - though I would rather have the original basic desktop=workspace idea: put something on the desktop, and it *is*.

    Regards Lewis Smith

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Desktop objects not visible [SOLVED]

    Quote Originally Posted by lewyssmith View Post
    Thanks for the hint. I had already discovered this, and did not like it. However, it seems as if one has to make do with it - though I would rather have the original basic desktop=workspace idea: put something on the desktop, and it *is*.

    Regards Lewis Smith
    You can do that in folder view. Set the "layout" to "folder view" and the "location" to "specify a place" = /home/yourname/Desktop

    That will be like the old fashioned way of a Desktop workspace
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  8. #8

    Default Re: Desktop objects not visible [SOLVED]

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    You can do that in folder view. Set the "layout" to "folder view" and the "location" to "specify a place" = /home/yourname/Desktop
    That will be like the old fashioned way of a Desktop workspace
    Done that. Thanks.

    Lewis Smith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •