Thread: Accessing menu options in PuTTY under openSUSE 12.1

Default Accessing menu options in PuTTY under openSUSE 12.1

Been searching for past couple days on the forums and even started looking through the source code for PuTTy, but cannot find how to re-open the main menu of PuTTY once I've established a session.
    You can do this in windows by right clicking on the top window bar, but that doesn't seem to work in with PuTTY running under KDE. Is this possible? Doesn't make sense that you want to do something like start a capture of a session to a text file and have to pre-set this up before connecting to a device (Telnet/SSH).

Got to be something real simple I'm missing - help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Accessing menu options in PuTTY under openSUSE 12.1

A general comment, though it won't solve your problem.

The window borders, including the top margin, normally belong to your Windows manager (part of KDE in your case). They don't belong to the application. That's why what you tried did not work.

Maybe experiment with right-click, control-right-click, shift-right-click on the putty window itself, rather than on the borders.

I've never used putty in linux. I couldn't think of any reason for installing it, when openssh from an xterm does what I want.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Default Re: Accessing menu options in PuTTY under openSUSE 12.1

Yes, it was a "general" question, but those familiar with PuTTY should know what I was referring to.

And yes, you can use SSH frmo an xterm and why does everyone assume that's the reason someone is using PuTTY. Putty lends itself to several other communication needs.

In my case I need a serial communication app and I'm not too fond of minicom since it seems to be more dedicated to use with a modem than attaching a serial port to a network device console port. Also, there are those of us who like having similar apps between openSUSE and windows and thus like using PuTTY and I like the session logging of Putty over what's available with other apps.

You're suggestion about using a keyboard key with right click did solve the problem. Since KDE doesn't like you using the margins for your application, for the Linux version of PuTTY, you hold down the control key and then right click in the PuTTY window to bring up the menu. I thought I tried that earlier in the game of figuring this out, may have been during a late night session when setting up this laptop and just missed that.