Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to have colored icons in the system tray?

Default how to have colored icons in the system tray?

network, device notifier, battery and volume and paste, how can I have them colored?? is it possible to have a system tray with a different set of icons??

Default Re: how to have colored icons in the system tray?

On 02/18/2012 01:46 PM, pier andreit wrote:
    >
    > network, device notifier, battery and volume and paste, how can I have
    > them colored?? is it possible to have a system tray with a different set
    > of icons??

what operating system are you using? and version? and, what desktop
    environment (i guess maybe KDE, but i am not certain that no other DE
    has a "device notifier"), and version?

and, if the DE you have installed has user selectable themes, which
    themes have you tried which didn't give what you would like to have.

--
    DD http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

Blog Entries

Question Re: how to have colored icons in the system tray?

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    network, device notifier, battery and volume and paste, how can I have them colored?? is it possible to have a system tray with a different set of icons??
    You did not mention anything about your system in order to actually answer your question. If we can assume you are using KDE 4.7 or 4.8, the system icons are all white by design. However, loading other applications there may still use colored icons. For instance I have a UPS loaded and its in color as is the HP printer icon, but a while ago, KDE decided to use all white. I did find a link here that might help, but unproven in openSUSE by me:

How to Use Custom Tray Icons in KDE

If you open up YaST / Software / Software Management, search on plasma, you can find and install plasma-theme-oxygen and install it and see if that allows any changes. This is in openSUSE 11.4, but you failed to mention which openSUSE or KDE desktop version that you are using.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Sorry for the lack of information, Im on opensuse 12.1 and kde 4.8 :-), thanks for the hints, I will try

I followed the intruction you gave me, copyed icons from here in /home/pla/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/ rebooted and it worked, I have new icons in the tray, then I tryed to modify (only changing color for try) the just copyed icons but the modified icon wasn't shown in the tray, the tray shows the original-non-modified icon, I followed the instruction and cleared the cache, removing the files icon-cache.kcache and plasma_theme_openSUSEdefault.kcache here /home/pla/.kde4/cache-linux-2fe4.site/, but didn't succeed, the icon don't change in the systray, how can I solve??
    P.S. all this after many reboots

I made another try, removed /home/pla/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/, rebooted, the white icons was shown in systray, I modified icons in another place and copyed in /home/pla/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/, the colored icons was showed, the modified not, it seems that when a /home/pla/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/ is present the systray shows the colored icons but I don't know where they are

Blog Entries

I made another try, removed /home/pla/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/, rebooted, the white icons was shown in systray, I modified icons in another place and copyed in /home/pla/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/, the colored icons was showed, the modified not, it seems that when a /home/pla/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/ is present the systray shows the colored icons but I don't know where they are
    Perhaps you could do a screen capture (PrtScn button on keyboard and save the image as .png) then post it on SUSE Paste: SUSE Paste , press the image button (top right) and load in the image, select the option Delete After to never expire. Once created, copy the download location link shown on the top right of the image screen. Next, select the Insert Image icon inside a forum message here, and paste in the Download Link URL from that image. Here is what I get:

Thank You,

Thankyou, we solved, it was the way to edit by inkscape, if you edit the icon grouped they are not showed, you have to edit piece by piece, now I have this: http://paste.opensuse.org/85106209

the device is a little ugly, I will better during use, but now I have network colored icons, in the mobile broadband too, so I can know if I am on gprs or adspa or another :-), many thanks... how can I share this modified icons with somebody like me prefere colored icons instead of white?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: how to have colored icons in the system tray?

Thankyou, we solved, it was the way to edit by inkscape, if you edit the icon grouped they are not showed, you have to edit piece by piece, now I have this: SUSE Paste

the device is a little ugly, I will better during use, but now I have network colored icons, in the mobile broadband too, so I can know if I am on gprs or adspa or another :-), many thanks... how can I share this modified icons with somebody like me prefere colored icons instead of white?

Very nice pier_andreit. You know that you should consider making a write up of how you got this to work including links to helpful info, all the steps you took, locations of the different files and utilities needed to edit the icons. You would post such an article here: Unreviewed How To and FAQ Consider all of the trouble you went through to get this to work and the details you needed to know. Making a writeup for yourself is useful next time, perhaps several months from now, when the details are less clear. The document you make will help you do it again AND, if you post the info here, it can also help someone else. You should consider it and happy to hear of your success.

Thank You,

done :-) this is my second try, device is better now :-)

my icons are here :-)
    many thanks guys:-))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast