Thread: After openSUSE-11.4 to 12.1 upgrade, command like "latex MyFile.tex" resulted in texmf.cnf not found

Default After openSUSE-11.4 to 12.1 upgrade, command like "latex MyFile.tex" resulted in texmf.cnf not found

Hello. I used the programs LaTeX and LaTeX2HTML in openSUSE 11.3. After I upgraded to openSUSE 11.4 those two programs still worked for me. But after upgrading from openSUSE 11.4 to openSUSE 12.1 and about three months later typing a command of the form "latex MyFile.tex", I received the error messages that the files texmf.cnf and latex.fmt were not found. Nevertheless texmf.cnf was found in the directory /usr/share/texmf/doc/latex/pgfplots in a search for that file using the program Konqueror as a file manager by initially clicking on its "Tools" menu and then on something like "Find Files." The file latex.fmt was not found at all in a similar search of my installation of the openSUSE-12.1, Linux operating system.

Based on what I read at http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...se-11-3-a.html on the Internet from an openSUSE-11.3 user, I wonder about a change in the path or paths set for one or more environment variables in my upgrade, such as the environment variable TEXMFCNF. But I recall that in I think openSUSE 12.1 I may not have seen some particular texlive package listed somehow using YaST2.

1) What do I need to do to get the programs LaTeX and LaTeX2HTML working in openSUSE 12.1?
    2) What were the changes in the arrangements for the programs LaTeX and/or LaTeX2HTML, for example in the package TeXLive or a substitute for it, between openSUSE 11.4 and openSUSE 12.1?
    3) How do I access and make changes to I suppose the paths for environment variables in openSUSE 12.1?

Blog Entries

Default Re: After openSUSE-11.4 to 12.1 upgrade, command like "latex MyFile.tex" resulted in texmf.cnf not f

I have been using latex, without problem, on 12.1

I do not have anything latex specific on my PATH.

I seem to recall others with a similar problem. Just remove everything latex related from your path, and see if it then works.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

Default Re: After openSUSE-11.4 to 12.1 upgrade, command like "latex MyFile.tex" resulted in texmf.cnf not f

I have been using latex, without problem, on 12.1

I do not have anything latex specific on my PATH.

I seem to recall others with a similar problem. Just remove everything latex related from your path, and see if it then works.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Thanks, nrickert, for kindly taking the time to post something here. For my question 1 I discovered that some TeXLive packages were not installed. So I installed the packages texlive, texlive-latex, texlive-cjk, texlive-cjk-latex-extras, texlive-fonts-extra-doc or texlive-fonts-extras-doc, and latex2html. After that following Shigeharu Takeno's advice I added the ? in each of the following lines in /usr/bin/latex2html:

$math_verbatim_rx = "$verbatim_mark#?math(\\d+)#";
    $math_verbatim_rx = "$verbatim_mark#?mathend([^#]*)#";

and in /usr/lib/latex2html/l2hconf.pm inserted the leading # in the line

#$DVIPSOPT .= '-Ppdf -E';
    After that the following commands on a LaTeX file with a name of the form MyFile.tex were gratefully executed without the files texmf.cnf, latex.fmt, and html.sty being reported as not found:

latex MyFile.tex
    latex2html -nonavigation -no_math -html_version 3.2,math -show_section_numbers -split 0 MyFile.tex
    As to the cause of my problems reported here I could think of two possibilities:

A) My hard-disk drive did not pass two tests. So perhaps some texlive and latex2html software packages were properly handled in the upgrade from openSUSE 11.4 to openSUSE 12.1; but over time some installed packages were damaged by physical damage to my hard-disk drive.
    B) The upgrade uninstalled the various texlive packages and the latex2html package, but did not install the same or a newer version of each of those packages to replace them.

Since I noticed "crashes" of my Mozilla-Firefox Web browser and my WiFi software no longer working, I "lean" toward "A" or hard-disk damage explaining why the command of the form "latex MyFile.tex" did not work for me. I replaced my hard-disk drive and installed lots of software onto it, including various texlive software packages. Gratefully a command of the form "latex MyFile.tex" worked for me in my most recent installation of the openSUSE-12.1, Linux operating system on the replaced hard-disk drive.

Default Re: After openSUSE-11.4 to 12.1 upgrade, command like "latex MyFile.tex"resulted in texmf.cnf not found

On 2012-02-13 16:26, 2009Newbie wrote:
    >
    > Hello. I used the programs LaTeX and LaTeX2HTML in openSUSE 11.3.
    > After I upgraded to openSUSE 11.4 those two programs still worked for
    > me. But after upgrading from openSUSE 11.4 to openSUSE 12.1 and about
    > three months later typing a command of the form "latex MyFile.tex", I
    > received the error messages that the files texmf.cnf and latex.fmt were
    > not found.

You probably forgot to review the the rpmorig and rpmnew files left after
    the upgrade.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Correction to the fourth posting in this "thread:" There is a line in it reading:

$math_verbatim_rx = "$verbatim_mark#?mathend([^#]*)#";

. Instead in that line the opening characters "$math_" should be replaced by "$mathend_" so that the corrected line will appear as:

$mathend_verbatim_rx = "$verbatim_mark#?mathend([^#]*)#";

. Sorry, I made that error there.