Thread: deleted partitions using testdisk

Default deleted partitions using testdisk

Hi
    I was trying to activate w7 which was there but unbootable because I clumsily formatted the "reserved system partition". I had Leap 42.1 running in one of the partitions and from here I used "testdisk" to fix the problem. In one step I erased ALL partitions (accidentaly! I mean, I didn't know that they would erase... ).
    I googled and downloaded "systemrescuecd" and burned it to a usb. When I use this stick memory the machine doesn't even recognize it. I desperately need to recover some files (not all). Can you help me or indicate me, please, what to do? I will really, really appreciate it. Thanks.

Default Re: deleted partitions using testdisk

testdisk should do it from a rescue disk

The problem with the reserved partition is that you reformatted as a Linux partition. No recovery if you format. but unless you did a wipe deleting partitions should be recoverable at least the data. BTW any time you seriously play with partitions you should always backup

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post

The problem with the reserved partition is that you reformatted as a Linux partition. No recovery if you format. but unless you did a wipe deleting partitions should be recoverable at least the data. BTW any time you seriously play with partitions you should always backup
    Hi, I back this advice and add "Stop working on the actual damaged disk if you can, until you are absolutely sure about what to do with it".
    In a similar situation I did the following:
    1) boot from a live rescue disk (maybe burn rescuecd to a physical CD or DVD if you have problems with USB; or check if you need to boot it in "legacy mode", AKA "MBR" or "enable CMS" in your BIOS).
    2) make a full copy of the affected disk with dd_rescue on a backup unit (or at least copy that section of the disk that was presumably "wiped")
    3) play with testdisk ON THE BACKUP COPY ONLY, until you find a sequence of commands that is able to recover what you need.
    4) if you just need to recover (some) files, maybe you can do that from the copy and you are finished.
    5) maybe you only wiped the partition table or part of the filesystem metadata but not the actual data: in that case it might be possible to recover your disk in full. Find the right sequence of commands by working on the copy, write it down EXACTLY, then when you are absolutely sure, repeat that sequence on the actual disk.
    6) If you are unlucky and you actually reformatted "the hard way", you have lost everything up to the disk sectors that were effectively reformatted; no chance of recovering the whole disk; hope that your important files were on the untouched part of the disk.

Good Luck (you need it anyway, when you are at play with testdisk).
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post

Yes, you're right, I committed a dumb mistake...
    I finally understood how to manipulate "systemrescuecd" and was able to recover most of the files I was searching for.
    You have accompanied me through this process and I greatly thank you for your support and all the advice.
    I must add that I have always received good advice in the forum which is why I'm using opensuse.
    Hope to see you in next posts.
    Thank You, really, very much

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    ...Good Luck (you need it anyway, when you are at play with testdisk).
    Hi
    I thank you for your time and detailed explanation. It helped me very much to understand how "systemrescuecd" works. Finally, I was able to recover most of the files I needed. And yes, it was a great deal of luck...
    I hope to coincide with you on my next posts
    Thank you very much