Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Firefox prefs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    301

    Default Firefox prefs

    How can I set the proxy for all users that they can't change.
    I thought it was done by putting a local.js in /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref
    but that doesn't seem to work.

    Ta

    Mal

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,987
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Firefox prefs

    If you mean to have a proxy active for the whole system, go Yast - Network services - Proxy, enter data there. It might require a reboot.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Firefox prefs

    Interestingly that doesn't work :-(
    Chrome and Opera both follow the system proxy correctly but Firefox doesn't
    Googling suggested a work around of setting the proxy manually but I need to
    do it for all users

    best wishes

    Mal

  4. #4

    Default Re: Firefox prefs

    Quit Firefox. Make a copy of your ~/.mozilla directory. Launch Firefox again and set up the proxy. Use diff to compare the prefs.js files in your current ~/.mozilla directory and the copy you made to find what's changed and make note of them. Delete your ~/.mozilla directory and rename the backup you made back to .mozilla.

    Use the method described at Locking preferences - MozillaZine Knowledge Base to set those preferences for all users. (I use it for Firefox 10 on SLED so I'm assuming it works for openSUSE too.) The files in the defaults/pref file are read in reverse alphabetical order of their name (I've never found that documented, I figured it out using strace) so I give the file I put in there a name that starts with aaaaa so it gets read after all the other files that are in there which allows me to override anything set in them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Firefox prefs

    It seems Ubuntu users are also having this problem with firefox ignoring the system proxy
    and I found the answer there, so here it is in case anyone else needs it - It's pretty much
    the same as Windows so you can find the contents of these files anywhere ( or see previous post )

    make a local-settings.js and put it in /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref
    make a mozilla.cfg and put it in /usr/lib/firefox

    I did the files in vi and it seems to need a CR at the end of the file

    :-)

    M

  6. #6

    Default Re: Firefox prefs

    Hi,

    Am 14.02.2012 09:06, schrieb interele:
    >
    > It seems Ubuntu users are also having this problem with firefox ignoring
    > the system proxy
    > and I found the answer there, so here it is in case anyone else needs
    > it - It's pretty much
    > the same as Windows so you can find the contents of these files
    > anywhere ( or see previous post )


    I've never heard that Firefox does not respect the system's proxy
    settings. Please describe the issue in more detail. Also feel free to
    open a bugreport.
    What you need to keep in mind is that Firefox by default is set to use
    system proxy settings. On openSUSE those are read using libproxy.

    libproxy itself is meant to provide proxy information as provided by
    Gnome or KDE. Those itself are hopefully reading the environment
    variables which can be set system wide using YaST.
    So I would expect it to just work but I do not know your exact
    environment since you've written nothing about it.


    Wolfgang

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Firefox prefs

    On 2012-03-02 11:05, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
    > I've never heard that Firefox does not respect the system's proxy
    > settings. Please describe the issue in more detail. Also feel free to
    > open a bugreport.


    I haven't played with this in openSUSE. In Windows something funny happens:
    FF reads the proxy settings from IE settings (or policy settings), but then
    the plain user can change them. Proxy settings that are mandatory for IE
    users, are optional for FF users.

    I mention this because the OP said:

    > How can I set the proxy for all users that they can't change.


    I assume that here users can change that setting, too. The only working I
    method I know of to have a mandatory proxy is to replace the network
    gateway with a two network card computer running the proxy. If a separate
    gateway exists, it has to run a egress firewall.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Firefox prefs

    Am 02.03.2012 11:28, schrieb Carlos E. R.:
    > I haven't played with this in openSUSE. In Windows something funny happens:
    > FF reads the proxy settings from IE settings (or policy settings), but then
    > the plain user can change them. Proxy settings that are mandatory for IE
    > users, are optional for FF users.
    >
    > I mention this because the OP said:
    >
    >> How can I set the proxy for all users that they can't change.

    >
    > I assume that here users can change that setting, too. The only working I
    > method I know of to have a mandatory proxy is to replace the network
    > gateway with a two network card computer running the proxy. If a separate
    > gateway exists, it has to run a egress firewall.


    That is true. A user always has control about his browser. Even if the
    system installation is locked down he still could download a Firefox
    tarball and use that.

    openSUSE/SUSE had a feature for NLD/SLED in the past to pin Firefox
    preferences and control the proxies for example. But also this one was
    only available under Gnome and a user who knew how to circumvent it
    would have succeeded. Those patches were quite intrusive and Novell
    wasn't interested to keep them alive so they were dropped one or two
    years ago from Firefox.

    The following might be a possibility as well:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cck/


    Wolfgang

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Firefox prefs

    Quote Originally Posted by wrosenauer View Post
    Am 02.03.2012 11:28, schrieb Carlos E. R.:
    > I haven't played with this in openSUSE. In Windows something funny happens:
    > FF reads the proxy settings from IE settings (or policy settings), but then
    > the plain user can change them. Proxy settings that are mandatory for IE
    > users, are optional for FF users.
    >
    > I mention this because the OP said:
    >
    >> How can I set the proxy for all users that they can't change.

    >
    > I assume that here users can change that setting, too. The only working I
    > method I know of to have a mandatory proxy is to replace the network
    > gateway with a two network card computer running the proxy. If a separate
    > gateway exists, it has to run a egress firewall.


    That is true. A user always has control about his browser. Even if the
    system installation is locked down he still could download a Firefox
    tarball and use that.

    openSUSE/SUSE had a feature for NLD/SLED in the past to pin Firefox
    preferences and control the proxies for example. But also this one was
    only available under Gnome and a user who knew how to circumvent it
    would have succeeded. Those patches were quite intrusive and Novell
    wasn't interested to keep them alive so they were dropped one or two
    years ago from Firefox.

    The following might be a possibility as well:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cck/


    Wolfgang
    Since there are so many applications capable of getting out onto the wibbly wobbly web on
    openSuse we have our firewall set up to drop anything outbound that doesn't come from the proxy
    for student machines.
    Adding lockPref to mozilla.cfg etc as per the previous post works fine ( after a bit of fiddling ).
    There are a couple of old bugs reported on OSX about this and a couple on Ubuntu lists.
    I couldn't find anything on openSUSE forums but there were enough Ubuntu posts to point
    me in a direction that works.

    M

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •