Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Using Firewall Log to Solve upnp Problem

  1. #1

    Default Using Firewall Log to Solve upnp Problem

    Running 12.1 with KDE 4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5"on T42 laptop.

    I have been trying to find a decent working upnp client to run on laptop and play media served by Twonky running on NAS.

    In order to test different clients I have had to turn off firewall. I have found VLC to be very poor but XBMC works very well however but I am unwilling to leave firewall off all the time just so I can play media and if firewall is on then no upnp clients will work.

    I have not been able to find a reference to what traffic and minimum ports I should open so thought I would turn on firewall and log what packets are stopped when I try to run XBMC. Is this a reasonable approach? If so where is firewall log written. I have turned on logging but cannot find log. Also how can I read it. There used to be a log viewing tool in Yast but it seems to have been removed.

    Grateful for advice/assistance please.
    Budgie2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    24,212
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Using Firewall Log to Solve upnp Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2
    Running 12.1 with KDE 4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5"on T42 laptop.

    I have been trying to find a decent working upnp client to run on
    laptop and play media served by Twonky running on NAS.

    In order to test different clients I have had to turn off firewall. I
    have found VLC to be very poor but XBMC works very well however but I
    am unwilling to leave firewall off all the time just so I can play media
    and if firewall is on then no upnp clients will work.

    I have not been able to find a reference to what traffic and minimum
    ports I should open so thought I would turn on firewall and log what
    packets are stopped when I try to run XBMC. Is this a reasonable
    approach? If so where is firewall log written. I have turned on logging
    but cannot find log. Also how can I read it. There used to be a log
    viewing tool in Yast but it seems to have been removed.

    Grateful for advice/assistance please.
    Budgie2

    Hi
    The UPnP uses UDP port 1900 and TCP port 2869, open those in the
    Advanced Settings and you should be fine.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.9-1.4-desktop
    up 0:53, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.06
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Using Firewall Log to Solve upnp Problem

    On 2012-02-09 01:56, Budgie2 wrote:

    > If so where is firewall log written.


    It is a plain text file in /var/log/firewall. All logs are there. You can
    use any text viewer you like, if you open it with root permissions. I use
    "less" on a terminal, faster than anything. No need for yast or any special
    tools.

    But even office would work, if you can make it work in Linux :-P


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Using Firewall Log to Solve upnp Problem

    Hi and many thanks. Tried it and all is now well.
    Still lament loss of log tool in yast. Where can I get help on this?
    Thanks again,
    Budgie2

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Using Firewall Log to Solve upnp Problem

    On 2012-02-10 23:56, Budgie2 wrote:

    > Still lament loss of log tool in yast. Where can I get help on this?


    Feature removed. Write a bugzilla if you want.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Using Firewall Log to Solve upnp Problem

    Hi Robin,
    I had found /var/log with log files, most ending in log or .log but file "firewall" I could not open. Will try again as root.
    Many thanks,
    Budgie2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Using Firewall Log to Solve upnp Problem

    On 2012-02-12 00:16, Budgie2 wrote:
    >
    > Hi Robin,
    > I had found /var/log with log files, most ending in log or .log but
    > file "firewall" I could not open. Will try again as root.


    Notice that there is a certain group that can read the logs.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •