Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to install a Pattern?

  1. #1

    Question How to install a Pattern?

    Good Day guys

    I was trying to install audio and video codecs on my 12.1 box
    followed the multimedia sticky

    zypper se

    one of shown is

    VideoLAN - VLC media player | An easy way to install the VLC video player and all the needed libraries. | pattern

    so I thought I would install this pattern instead of the vlc package

    this is my code

    sudo zypper in -t pattern VideoLAN

    this is what is shown

    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'VideoLAN' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    No provider of 'pattern:VideoLAN' found.
    Resolving package dependencies...

    Nothing to do.

    how do I install a package? did I do something wrong here?

    Thanks in advance guys

    Long Live Linux!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    On 02/08/2012 10:06 PM, Jomar808 wrote:
    > I was trying to install audio and video codecs on my 12.1 box
    > followed the multimedia sticky


    what multimedia sticky are you refereeing to? please give us its address..


    > this is my code
    >
    > sudo zypper in -t pattern VideoLAN
    > this is what is shown
    >
    > Loading repository data...
    > Reading installed packages...
    > 'VideoLAN' not found in package names.



    so, did you add the required repo first?
    and, did the sticky instructions say VideoLAN or was it videolan?

    --
    DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
    Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    I think so, I added the videoLan repo
    I just thought it would be much better install the pattern than the individual packages itself
    so I asked, is it ok or bad idea?

    Long Live Linux!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    On 02/08/2012 10:56 PM, Jomar808 wrote:
    >
    > is it ok or bad idea?


    i'm not going to answer you question until you answer mine.

    --
    DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
    Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    Oh sorry sir

    this is where I followed

    http://forums.opensuse.org/informati...ml#post2180319

    what I did because of curiosity, i installed one by one, on the command line
    so when I come to pass on vlc
    i searched as describe on my main post
    then I saw the VideoLAN pattern and did on what is on above

    the sticky instructed to install vlc, but just for trying out something, I thought I would give a try on installing the pattern

    I hope that cleared everything sir

    Long Live Linux!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    On 2012-02-08 22:06, Jomar808 wrote:
    >
    > Good Day guys
    >
    > I was trying to install audio and video codecs on my 12.1 box
    > followed the multimedia sticky
    >
    > ZYPPER SE


    There is no "zypper se" in the sticky. What are you trying to do?


    > one of shown is
    >
    > VideoLAN - VLC media player | An easy way to install the VLC video
    > player and all the needed libraries. | pattern
    >
    > so I thought I would install this pattern instead of the vlc package
    >
    > this is my code


    Please post code as code! Meaning: use code tags. Don't know how to do it?
    It is in the howto section.


    > SUDO ZYPPER IN -T PATTERN VIDEOLAN
    >
    > this is what is shown
    >
    > Loading repository data...
    > Reading installed packages...
    > 'VideoLAN' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    > No provider of 'pattern:VideoLAN' found.


    Well, it means what it says. You told it to install a pattern named
    "VideoLAN", and that pattern does not exist. As simple as that.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    sorry I mean is

    zypper se vlc

    then this is one of the listed on the results

    VideoLAN - VLC media player | An easy way to install the VLC video player and all the needed libraries. | pattern

    so I tried to install it,

    I was thinking that because zypper able to locate it, then it will be able to install it

    I hope it made the things more clearer sir

    sorry

    Long Live Linux!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    On 2012-02-09 01:26, Jomar808 wrote:
    >
    > sorry I mean is
    >
    > zypper se vlc


    I see. I also see you are not using code tags as I told you. The next time
    you do not use it for posting code, I will not answer.


    > then this is one of the listed on the results
    >
    > VideoLAN - VLC media player | An easy way to install the VLC video
    > player and all the needed libraries. | pattern
    >


    I can't see the same results, but it may be because I don't enable the vlc
    repo. Be warned that installing from the vlc repo is dangerous! Notice that
    the sticky says to install one and only one package from that repo, and the
    remove the repo, so that you do not install anything else by accident from
    there!

    We are talking computers here. Attention to detail is important.

    Also, the sticky has sections for different openSUSE versions. You can see
    that the vlc is not configured on later versions, and instead another repo
    is used.

    So, if you insist on installing stuff from there, you are on your own, I
    will not help. Expect problems.


    > so I tried to install it,
    >
    > I was thinking that because zypper able to locate it, then it will be
    > able to install it


    Maybe the vlc repo reports things incorrectly. You were lucky that it did
    not work.

    >
    > I hope it made the things more clearer sir
    >
    > sorry


    Welcome.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    On 02/09/2012 12:16 AM, Jomar808 wrote:
    >
    > Oh sorry sir
    >
    > this is where I followed
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/y9d3zgr


    well, there are SIX different guides at that location, scroll down and
    see guides for:

    openSUSE 11.0
    openSUSE 11.1
    openSUSE 11.2
    openSUSE 11.3
    openSUSE 11.4
    openSUSE 12.1

    which _one_ did you use?

    i doubt you will have success if you use any of those other than the
    _one_ for 12.1


    > what I did because of curiosity, i installed one by one, on the command
    > line
    > so when I come to pass on vlc
    > i searched as describe on my main post
    > then I saw the VideoLAN pattern and did on what is on above


    oh no! you told me earlier that you added the "VideoLAN repo" and i
    don't see one of those mentioned on any version after about 11.2!

    but, in 11.3 and 11.4 i see "***Take note to remove the VideoLan repo if
    you have it***" which to me means that that repo is DEATH to 11.3 and 11.4..

    *and* it is not even mentioned in the 12.1 guide--which is the only one
    you should follow!!



    on the whole page of six guides i can't find once where it mentions
    installing a "pattern" so ????


    > the sticky instructed to install vlc,


    right. the 12.1 guide show how to install vlc after you have used zypper
    to add the packman and libdvdcss repos for *12.1* (no where is a
    VideoLAN repo mentioned..


    > but just for trying out
    > something, I thought I would give a try on installing the pattern


    well, it is your machine and you are welcome to try out anything you
    want to...but, when you decide to try out something that is not in the
    guide then you need to be prepared to fix whatever you broke.

    and, if you don't think you are capable of fixing the results of your
    try outs then . . . i don't know what...maybe you can find a friend who
    lives near by who is a Linux Guru and can over and look at your screen
    with you and figure out what you did and then maybe help you fix it..


    > I hope that cleared everything sir


    kinda does, but because i have to _guess_ that you didn't follow the
    12.1 guide, i do not know what kind of damage you may have done to your
    system...but, now back to your original questions:


    Q1. "how do I install a package?"

    A1. follow the guide, how-to or documentation for _the_ version you are
    using.

    Q2. did I do something wrong here?

    A2. yes, you tried to follow the wrong guide and it is therefore that
    your zypper command returned "'VideoLAN' not found in package names. . .
    .. Nothing to do."

    Q3: "thought it would be much better install the pattern than the
    individual packages itself . . . so I asked, is it ok or bad idea?"

    A3: bad idea to use the wrong guide. and bad idea to experiment if
    unable to fix the problems an experiment may cause.

    on the other hand, if you have a bullet proof backup, know how to
    restore it, and want to experiment to see what happens--go ahead and do
    it...HOWEVER, if you break your system everyday in experimentation you
    should *not* expect to come here and find an easy fix...there are SO
    many different possibilities of versions, DEs, settings, software mixes
    and ways the inattentive experimenter can murder a system....that it is
    just impossible for the potential helpers to *guess* what you did (which
    guide you followed) and then tell you how to undo it..

    by the way, i never did find written in _any_ of those guides the exact
    command you gave: "sudo zypper in -t pattern VideoLAN" so it is
    impossible for me to find which guide you actually followed? BUT, i can
    tell it is not a guide written by caf4926 because he *never* uses the
    incorrect "sudo zypper [something]" he instead uses the correct sequence of
    Code:
    su -
    zypper [something]

    > Long Live Linux!!!


    Linux is 20 years old...and, this year S.u.S.E., SuSE, SUSE (the
    commercial side of openSUSE) has its 20th birthday...it will live long,
    no doubt about that.

    --
    DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
    Read what Distro Watch writes: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to install a Pattern?

    thank you to both of you sir, for giving me valuable advice
    I will take note of all of that, just want to be a pro like you so I did some experimenting stuff
    I will surely follow all the things you say here

    Thanks a lot sirs!

    Long Live Linux and OpenSUSE!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •