View Poll Results: How long have you been using Linux OS?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 1 year

18 7.76%
  • 1-3 years

26 11.21%
  • 3-5 years

29 12.50%
  • > 5 years

152 65.52%
  • Ever since I was born

3 1.29%
  • I can't remember. Does it really matter?

4 1.72%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: How Long Have You Been Using Linux?

Default Re: How Long Have You Been Using Linux?

I started long time ago, in the middle of 90's. But because some problems and difficult with University and a pair of jobs I needed move to "Windows". Just about 3 years ago I returned to Linux, using Ubuntu, then Fedora and now openSUSE.

I've been using Linux for just over fifteen years. I've been running openSUSE for a couple of weeks and Tumbleweed for a few days. Although I've tried out many distributions in that time as I get bored easily, the one I keep going back to is Kubuntu.

Since 2005 IINM.

Quote Originally Posted by riderplus View Post
    It would interesting to know if there are specific versions of Linux (even openSUSE) like:

- an Indian version of Linux (used only in India)
    - a Chinese version of Linux (used only in China)
    - an Italian version of Linux (used only in Italy)

etc.

Although Linux is an open-source concept, I think it would be interesting to know how the multicultural phenomenon gets rooted, so to say
    There are Italian distributions (e.g. Sabayon https://www.sabayon.org/ to name a widely known one) and major distros, including OpenSUSE, are localized to Italian. But there is no distro "used only in Italy" that I am aware of.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

apparently it's been 12 years, that's about the time mandrake linux 10.0 came out and I installed it on my old P4 along with windows XP.

since then I've tried most main distros throughout the years.

+5 years I suppose, although not consistently.

We had to use a UNIX environment for programming in FORTRAN95 at uni, later on we ended up using Red Hat. It wasn't until a friend introduced me to Kubuntu (I think it was version 8, Edgy) that I got into running it on my desktop. Worked at a small R&D company around 2007 which used openSUSE on all their systems and that was my first introduction to it. Stopped using Linux once Windows 7 was available, since it wasn't a bad OS but still had Linux Mint on a few computers at home because I didn't want to pay for more Windows licenses.

More recently came back to openSUSE because I'm not a fan of Unity and was amazed at how much it has come along since I used it almost 10 years ago. Glad to be back! The only thing stopping me from going full Linux is games...

Blog Entries

I started with Redhat because it fell out of a magazine I bought. In 2005 I fixed on Suse, and haven't wavered. I think it was the Yast interface that got me to leave Mandrake/Mandriver (which had pretty spiffy GUI tools too).
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    I started with Redhat because it fell out of a magazine I bought. In 2005 I fixed on Suse, and haven't wavered. I think it was the Yast interface that got me to leave Mandrake/Mandriver (which had pretty spiffy GUI tools too).
    It's definitely YaST and the "Configure Desktop" in KDE that were the deciding factors in choosing openSUSE over the other distros.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Yggdrasil in 1993 ,-- I had to buy a SCSI-1 CDROM to use this semi-live distribution.
    Linux-FT 1995, from Unifix and Lasermoon -- joint a.out and efi binaries enabled Linux-Unix cross platform development.
    S.u.S.E. 5.2 1998 -- moved from Unix to Linux as primary environment, and a graphical desktop to match that available on BSD Unix workstations more than ten years earlier.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

19 years this year as my sole desktop. Game on windows but other than that, I do not rely on it for anything whatsoever. Forced myself to eliminate any and all dependencies on windows because frankly I can't stand it. I am forced to use it at work but at home where I have a choice, it's Linux or BSD for me
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”
    — William Shakespeare

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast