View Poll Results: How long have you been using Linux OS?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 1 year

18 7.76%
  • 1-3 years

26 11.21%
  • 3-5 years

29 12.50%
  • > 5 years

152 65.52%
  • Ever since I was born

3 1.29%
  • I can't remember. Does it really matter?

4 1.72%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: How Long Have You Been Using Linux?

Default Re: How Long Have You Been Using Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs View Post
    19 years this year as my sole desktop. Game on windows but other than that, I do not rely on it for anything whatsoever. Forced myself to eliminate any and all dependencies on windows because frankly I can't stand it. I am forced to use it at work but at home where I have a choice, it's Linux or BSD for me
    Which BSD flavour do you use mostly?
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    Which BSD flavour do you use mostly?
    FreeBSD - very easy install, normally takes me less than 10 minutes to install the core OS. Setting up as a desktop takes much longer, depending on whether you use ports or packages. I typically use ports since it gives more control. I was using it as my main desktop for about 6 months until something hard-broke and Xorg stopped wortking for me. Not sure why but I switched back to Linux at that point. I needed my desktop up and running and Linux is quick and easy. I loved the separation of userland software and the core OS in BSD. No matter how much I broke my environment, the OS kept on working

Kind of sad leaving it but there is some software I have started using that is sadly not ported to BSD.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”
    — William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs View Post
    FreeBSD - very easy install, normally takes me less than 10 minutes to install the core OS. Setting up as a desktop takes much longer, depending on whether you use ports or packages. I typically use ports since it gives more control. I was using it as my main desktop for about 6 months until something hard-broke and Xorg stopped wortking for me. Not sure why but I switched back to Linux at that point. I needed my desktop up and running and Linux is quick and easy. I loved the separation of userland software and the core OS in BSD. No matter how much I broke my environment, the OS kept on working

Kind of sad leaving it but there is some software I have started using that is sadly not ported to BSD.
    This doesn't encourage me to try it any OS is as good as the applications you can run on it and it looks like this is a problem on BSD sadly. In the past I used FreeNAS. It was really nice for what it did but I only used a http GUI to manage it so sadly I didn't dive into the OS at all. I really liked zfs though
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    This doesn't encourage me to try it any OS is as good as the applications you can run on it and it looks like this is a problem on BSD sadly. In the past I used FreeNAS. It was really nice for what it did but I only used a http GUI to manage it so sadly I didn't dive into the OS at all. I really liked zfs though
    I must clarify: the end user applications, of which Xorg is a part, are not part of the core OS at all. The core OS is as stable and reliable as the sun. After the core OS install, I do a bunch of tweaks for desktop performance, then compile all of the end user applications using the ports system. Most people don't use FreeBSD as a desktop but many do, it just requires more work to set up and it is all done by hand. I didn't want to give a bad impression about FreeBSD, that wasn't my intention. It's a great OS but takes a bit of work to use as a desktop.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”
    — William Shakespeare

I recently switched from Arch to openSUSE Tumbleweed. I first installed Arch to dual-boot with Win10 a year or two ago, after getting really fed up with a lot of the latter's nonsense. Arch was great to learn Linux on. I found it to be a really empowering experience! After messing with it for a long time, I realized that not only were new installations still potentially frustrating experiences even after having it more or less down pat. Also, more tinkering was always required from day to day than I'd like from my daily driver. I hunted around and found openSUSE Tumbleweed as a nice powerful functional-out-of-the-box alternative that still gave a choice of DE, had a rolling release, etc. It was a tough choice to make, as I really enjoyed the ultimate control over my own system afforded me by Arch. But that came at too steep a time cost for me personally.

Linux still has a long way to go to really be able to call itself my daily driver. I enjoy video games a lot more than your typical Linux user, it seems, so I still have to have a Windows install on another hard drive to dual-boot into. Thankfully, I was able to regress to Win7 pretty successfully for the games I want to play that are Windows-exclusive. That saves me from basically all the complaints I have about Windows 8 and up.

My experience with Linux in general has been very positive overall, despite its setbacks when it comes to embarrassingly basic things like sound and graphics and game compatibility, however. Every distro I've looked at emphasizes core principles of the computing experience that line up with my own very nicely, and I've really enjoyed the emphasis on terminal use and editing text files and getting down into the workings of the system without fear.

22 years, off and on. Currently 'on' with no plans to go back again.
    I discovered Linux in 1996, when I saw an add for a Linux 6-pack (linux mall?). S.u.S.E. 4.2, debian, redhat and some other long-dead and forgotten distros (I think Yggdrasil was among them). I tried them all. Guess which one was my favorite?
    Over the years, I've been 100% linux, a few 100% FreeBSD episodes, macOS (side note: when the first public beta of X was released, I got to see it just before that. My employer had a lot of "early adopter" clients and we had to learn about this new BSD based Apple Operating system. I peed myself a little when the presenter opened a terminal and ran CLI commands). I haven't run Windows willingly since 1996.
    I currently run TW on my mid-2015 MacBook Pro Retina, no macOS; Gecko Linux, Rolling Gnome version.

Since 2006, always Opensuse
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    Since 2006, always Opensuse
    So you had about 12 years to find out that the name is in fact openSUSE

(As you say: Correct me if I'm wrong).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    So you had about 12 years to find out that the name is in fact openSUSE

(As you say: Correct me if I'm wrong).
    Hahahahahahaha ...there is always something to learn, a capital has escaped me
    Correct me if I'm wrong .

Less than 1 year, but I am happy about it.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast