Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 12.1 64 bit won't boot

Default Re: 12.1 64 bit won't boot

@jdmcdaniel3
    Good to see you here, James. I'm hungry and out of ideas.

@Camalus28
    I'm not going to explain the differences between IDE and SATA and why it is not a too good idea to mix them. That would bring us far to far from the original topic. Unfortunately by adding an IDE disk, you're adding another level of complexity. Remember that we're trying to figure out what's wrong. I have to go for lunch, but I leave you in good hands.

Well what should I do, then? It's not detecting the 40GB drivem and not running off of the graphics card, the graphics card is also very very loud.

*EDIT*
    I had the cord backwards on the hard drive, lol, it's working now. But the SATA settings won't have any effect, so am I screwed or is there something else I should do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Camalus28 View Post
    Well what should I do, then? It's not detecting the 40GB drivem and not running off of the graphics card, the graphics card is also very very loud. *EDIT* I had the cord backwards on the hard drive, lol, it's working now. But the SATA settings won't have any effect, so am I screwed or is there something else I should do?
    So you have a SATA and PATA drive install on your PC and you want to install openSUSE to the PATA or IDE drive? I can say that with the hard drive installed, you must be able to select the IDE drive as your boot drive in order to boot openSUSE from it. I guess I would visit my BIOS setup before I went too far and trt and select this hard drive as your boot drive and report back. Also, recap just where we are and just what your intentions are tonight with your PC and openSUSE. Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

I ran hwinfo --gfxcard in the live disk and it says my graphics card is the 8400GS, but the DVI cord only displays anything if it's plugged in to the motherboard and not the graphics card

Forget it! The 40GB IDE disk is almost as old as you. While you still have all your neurons, it's not certain that it still has all its sectors.
    I'm gone.

Blog Entries

I ran hwinfo --gfxcard in the live disk and it says my graphics card is the 8400GS, but the DVI cord only displays anything if it's plugged in to the motherboard and not the graphics card
    Sometimes you need to install the nVIDIA driver to get a second card to work. Or, you may need to visit your BIOS settings and set the nVIDIA card as the primary video card. Often, you can boot with only the monitor on the external card and go into BIOS setup. And, if you get nothing on boot with this, its a BIOS setting or other PC setup issue and not something with openSUSE.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Forget it! The 40GB IDE disk is almost as old as you. While you still have all your neurons, it's not certain that it still has all its sectors.
    I'm gone.
    I guess I really am screwed, then. Thanks for trying anyways, guys . And the drive has 2006 stamped on it, so ive still got a decade on it!

There are many - probably too many - subtleties in this thread. But generally speaking, installing Linux is not very difficult. If something used to work and doesn't work anymore, that's because it got broken. Some graphics cards are not happy with kms (kernel mode settings). You usually solve that by installing the proprietary driver. The only way to know if a part is broken is to test and replace it. I can not tell you why Mint used to work and openSUSE does not. We usually say: don't replace a working system! That Windows works is uninteresting. Windows has not much in common with Linux. I already suggested installing Ubuntu. Why? Because when you try to debug a problem, you should sort the error factors and reduce them. The graphics card is causing a problem? Then exclude this problem by installing a distro which comes with the nvidia driver. Are there still problems? Then it wasn't the graphics card. Do you have I/O errors, like errors by installing or copying files? Check the cable, hard disk, CD/DVD writer... and if the errors persist add a PCI SATA controller and disable the one on board. If it doesn't help, replace the mainboard! Yes, they get broken after 24 hours, a week, a month, a year or ten years. If the computer freezes randomly, check the RAM. As long as you have nothing to loose, you can reinstall Windows and Linux 20 times until either it works or you establish that there in nothing you can do with this hardware.

You can add your IDE disk. But it will make things more complicated and can be very confusing. The disk that appears to be the first one (sda) when you install might end up being the second one when you reboot ... or not ... or just randomly vary. The reason is that IDE and SATA controllers don't use the same kernel module, and that the devices are named in the order the modules are loaded. You can have influence on that too, but you understand that you enter a territory where hacks and workarounds are more complexe than the original problem you're trying to address.

I changed the SATA MODE to AHCI, reinstalled windows, and then linux mint 12. I tried linux mint 12 first after installing windows (SATAMODE :IDE) and it wouldn't boot, just like opensuse, but with it set to AHCI it works completely fine. I haven't tried OpenSUSE with AHCI yet and I don't know if it will. I don't even know if that solved the problem, or if it's just luck that it decided to work now. Anyways, thanks for all the time you put in to helping me!

I changed the SATA MODE to AHCI, reinstalled windows, and then linux mint 12. I tried linux mint 12 first after installing windows (SATAMODE :IDE) and it wouldn't boot, just like opensuse, but with it set to AHCI it works completely fine. I haven't tried OpenSUSE with AHCI yet and I don't know if it will. I don't even know if that solved the problem, or if it's just luck that it decided to work now. Anyways, thanks for all the time you put in to helping me!
    Good news. So it looks like you're about to solve it. You got two problems, which are unrelated, but it's often the case:

• SATA Mode was set to IDE - which is bad, and indeed, Linux might not boot with large hard disks in this mode.
    • Your Nvidia graphic card has issues with kernel mode settings and the nouveau driver.

Solutions:
    • If your computer crashes, call the BIOS setup and make sure that it didn't reset SATA mode to IDE. If it did, set it back to AHCI.
    • As soon as you get a terminal and a network connection, install the proprietary nvidia driver under openSUSE, as described earlier in this thread.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast