Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNOME session won't start in VNC

Default GNOME session won't start in VNC

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I figured the question fits best here:

I use SSH and VNC to access my work computer from out and about, which means often. SSH works fine, no problems there. VNC works fine too, as long as I'm using KDE. But since I use a tablet with a touchscreen I prefer the large, shiny buttons, etc. of GNOME when I'm not sitting at an actual computer and need a GUI.

If I run GNOME from my computer locally, everything works fine. If I try to start a GNOME session using VNC, though, this is what happens:
    - I get what I think is a TWM environment with a popup that says only "Failed to load session "gnome""
    - I've tried to start gnome-session from the terminal and I get the following:
    Code:
    lee@pc19453:~> gnome-session
    gnome-session-is-accelerated: No composite extension.
    gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256
    gnome-session [21435]: WARNING: Session 'gnome' runnable check failed: Exited with code 1
    That seems strange, right? Especially since GNOME is runnable, I know that because I can run it when I'm physically in front of the computer.

Contents of ~./vnc/xstartup:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    gnome-panel &
    exec gnome-shell &
    #startkde &
    I put in gnome-panel to see if that would start - I'd read in a thread somewhere that that could be keeping gnome-shell or gnome-session from executing - but it didn't change anything. Nicely enough, though, it does give me a gnome-panel in TWM, which is kind of what I want, but then again not really. I have tried swapping gnome-shell for gnome-session, but no dice.

Some more info:
    - I'm not logged in locally, so I don't think it's a profile issue
    - If I comment out the gnome lines in ~/.vnc/xstartup and uncomment the KDE line, KDE starts just fine
    - Every time I edit ~./vnc/xstartup I restart the VNC server, so that's not the problem.

Any clues? I'd be really excited if I could use gnome in VNC. Thanks a bunch!

Default Re: GNOME session won't start in VNC

Push - anybody got any ideas?

Sorry not me KDE only here.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

I can definitely understand that, I also prefer KDE when I'm working directly at the computer

Is this perhaps the wrong forum? Is there a SUSE forum for GNOME questions somewhere?

Best,
    Daniel

No I think You're at the perfectly correct place. The problem is that most likely no one that has seen this thread so far knows what your problem might be.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]

Arrow Re: GNOME session won't start in VNC

If I click on the tag vnc under the last posting
    I get this as 8th result:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...vncserver.html

Is this solution not (still) working?

Good luck
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by pistazienfresser View Post
    If I click on the tag vnc under the last posting
    I get this as 8th result:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...vncserver.html

Is this solution not (still) working?

Good luck
    Martin
    Sadly, no - I've tried using exactly that xstartup file with the same results as otherwise.

My gut says that GNOME's not able to access my X server, but why I don't know. A monitor's attached - I use the computer a couple times a week at my desk there. But oftentimes I use it from elsewhere, which is why I've got this whole concern with GNOME in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, but the problem's still there Any more ideas?

Best,
    Daniel

On 2012-02-05 20:26, erget wrote:

> Anyway, thanks for the tip, but the problem's still there Any more
    > ideas?

Sorry, I do not use VNC nor see a need for it in Linux.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

I use it because I make a lot of maps and need to see them... Normally I make them in a terminal, but then I also need to put them together and proof them graphically. I also work on some web UI's and for that I need a real desktop browser.

Quote Originally Posted by erget View Post
    I use it because I make a lot of maps and need to see them... Normally I make them in a terminal, but then I also need to put them together and proof them graphically. I also work on some web UI's and for that I need a real desktop browser.
    For running the some GUI apps alone (not the whole desktop) X11 forwarding over ssh should be sufficient and is very easy to configure IMHO. (changing simply one parameter in the server and client config) If You're accessing your linux machine from windows You also need to install Xserver for windows in order for X11 forwarding to work but that's as simple as downloading Xming install and clicking next.

Sorry but that's the best advice I can give You

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast