Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Virtuoso Hogging CPU After Upgrade to KDE 4.8.0 on openSUSE 12.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Virtuoso Hogging CPU After Upgrade to KDE 4.8.0 on openSUSE 12.1

    I managed to successfully update my system to KDE 4.8.0. Upon reboot, the system is now using a constant 40% CPU on all cores. When I pull up the process list, the culprit appears to be virtuoso. The command line that is running is /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile /tmp/virtuoso_ik2795.ini +wait

    Will this eventually clear itself up or is this an issue with 4.8?

    Thanks for any feedback.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sri mayapur, west bengal, india
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: Virtuoso Hogging CPU After Upgrade to KDE 4.8.0 on openSUSE 12.1

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 07:26:03 +0530, DMCorsa
    <DMCorsa@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > I managed to successfully update my system to KDE 4.8.0. Upon reboot,
    > the system is now using a constant 40% CPU on all cores. When I pull up
    > the process list, the culprit appears to be virtuoso. The command line
    > that is running is /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile
    > /tmp/virtuoso_ik2795.ini +wait
    >
    > Will this eventually clear itself up or is this an issue with 4.8?
    >


    there's different possibilities what can cause this. in some cases, as
    happened with me, this straightens out when you just kill that virtuoso
    process. it will be re-spawned by nepomuk and then behave better. if
    that's the case. you can also try, in a user terminal, not root, to issue
    the command "akonadictl restart". if that doesn't help, you'll have to
    investigate further, perhaps with help from people on the opensuse-kde
    mailing list.

    --
    phani.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Virtuoso Hogging CPU After Upgrade to KDE 4.8.0 on openSUSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by phanisvara View Post
    On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 07:26:03 +0530, DMCorsa
    <DMCorsa@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > I managed to successfully update my system to KDE 4.8.0. Upon reboot,
    > the system is now using a constant 40% CPU on all cores. When I pull up
    > the process list, the culprit appears to be virtuoso. The command line
    > that is running is /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile
    > /tmp/virtuoso_ik2795.ini +wait
    >
    > Will this eventually clear itself up or is this an issue with 4.8?
    >


    there's different possibilities what can cause this. in some cases, as
    happened with me, this straightens out when you just kill that virtuoso
    process. it will be re-spawned by nepomuk and then behave better. if
    that's the case. you can also try, in a user terminal, not root, to issue
    the command "akonadictl restart". if that doesn't help, you'll have to
    investigate further, perhaps with help from people on the opensuse-kde
    mailing list.

    --
    phani.
    Thanks for the response. I did tried killing the process and it restarted immediately and went from 16% to 38% utilization almost immediately and stayed there. I wasn't aware of the other command you mention, so when I am home again this evening here I will reboot and see how it behaves. If it hogs again I will try that akonadictl restart and see if that helps at all (although rebooting should perform that anyway yes?)

    Strange, because under 4.7 it was running very well with no noticeable impact on my system.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Virtuoso Hogging CPU After Upgrade to KDE 4.8.0 on openSUSE 12.1

    Delete ~/.kde4/share/apps.nepomuk/repository/main/data/virtuosobackend

    Nepomuk will rebuild the search database and CPU returns to normal.
    --
    openSUSE 13.1, Arch Linux,
    Windows 8.1 Pro, all x86_64
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Registered Linux user #436067

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Virtuoso Hogging CPU After Upgrade to KDE 4.8.0 on openSUSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by oboedad55 View Post
    Delete ~/.kde4/share/apps.nepomuk/repository/main/data/virtuosobackend

    Nepomuk will rebuild the search database and CPU returns to normal.
    That did the trick. Thank you so much.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Virtuoso Hogging CPU After Upgrade to KDE 4.8.0 on openSUSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCorsa View Post
    That did the trick. Thank you so much.
    Cool, glad it worked. I found the solution on the Arch Linux forum. As you know, we Archers are into the bleeding edge, so solutions come pretty quickly.
    --
    openSUSE 13.1, Arch Linux,
    Windows 8.1 Pro, all x86_64
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Registered Linux user #436067

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •