Wine

$ wine-doors --firstrun

The above command gives following error:

‘gzip: /home/rsp/.wine-doors/packlists/Libraries and Fonts.xml.gz: not in gzip format
Error: Could not find packlist /home/rsp/.wine-doors/packlists/Libraries and Fonts.xml’

Result is that I cannot install Windows XP or any other Windows Program.

Help will be appreciated

RSP2

Just how do you plan to install XP?

Wine itself will do what you require

I tried to install Office-XP, with Wine, as below:

rsp@rsp-laptop:~> wine /media/OFFICE10/setup.exe

It did not install. The terminal output is:

fixme:imm:ImmDisableIME (-1): stub
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize
err:ole:CoUninitialize Mismatched CoUninitialize
fixme:msi:ControlEvent_SpawnWaitDialog Doing Nothing
fixme:msi:ControlEvent_SpawnWaitDialog Doing Nothing
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"CADpc" returned 1603

Can Wine install Office-XP without Widows-XP havibg been installed beforehand?

Regards,

RSP2

WineHQ - Microsoft Office (installer only)

Yes, that’s the whole point of wine - you don’t need windows (and you can’t install windows itself under wine).

HTH

Lenwolf

As others have said, you can’t install Windows in Wine, and don’t need to.

As for Office XP, the platinum rating in the AppDB is misleading. It’s based on one platinum report from a user who had a slipstreamed, volume licensed installer that did not ask for a serial number. Unless you have that, you will not be able to install Office XP in Wine due to WineHQ Bugzilla - Bug 5163 - Office XP 2002 crashes on installation. That bug is unlikely to be fixed (read the report for the gory details), but there is a hack/patch attached to it that you can try if you’re really determined. It will not apply to current Wine; you will need the 1.0.1 source.

If you have any other version of Office, install that. Office 2003 and 2007 both work very well.

Thanks a lot for your enlightened comments and guidance. I just do not have the time to struggle further. Shall find some other way (Dual Booting) to satisfy my objective.

Regards,

RSP2

If your rig is up to the job, you can use VirtualBox to install XP in a VM and run windows in openSUSE at the same time.

Thanks again. Shall try it.

Regards,

RSP2