Thread: opensuse 12.1, vmware workstation 8.0.1 - gtk-warning cannot open display

Default opensuse 12.1, vmware workstation 8.0.1 - gtk-warning cannot open display

Just did a fresh install of 12.1 and I got VMware workstation 8.0.1 installed w/o issues. The problem is I cannot run the module installer or the network configuration. If I run them from the program it prompts for the root password and then nothing happens.

If I try from the command line it errors out with Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.

I finally got the modules compiled using the --console option, but vmware-netcfg doesn't have a console option.

Any ideas why this is failing?

Default Re: opensuse 12.1, vmware workstation 8.0.1 - gtk-warning cannot open display

Just guessing: did you try --console --install-all, or it doesn't apply? It works for vmplayer.

Default Re: opensuse 12.1, vmware workstation 8.0.1 - gtk-warning cannot open display

That worked to compile the modules but I need to launch the network configuration editor to add some host only networks

Default Re: opensuse 12.1, vmware workstation 8.0.1 - gtk-warning cannotopen display

On 2012-01-23 00:56, crisponions wrote:
    > If I try from the command line it errors out with Gtk-WARNING **:
    > cannot open display: :0.

I assume you run that as root. If you use "su" to get yourself root, it
    will give that error, IIRC. You have to use "su -".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Default Re: opensuse 12.1, vmware workstation 8.0.1 - gtk-warning cannotopen display

Thanks su - did the trick. Actually you run the command (or select it from applications) and it prompts you for the root password, like YaST or any other admin type tool.