Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: opensuse 12.1 no sound whatsoever

Default opensuse 12.1 no sound whatsoever

Have a Zotac Ad-02 with AMD 350, installed os 12.1 fresh from DVD, pc connected to TV with HDMI

Read several posts regarding sound, but nothing worked

Tried:

AMD/ATI Driver
    edit kernel option radeon audio =1
    Pulse off/on
    Uninstall soundcards in Yast and re-install

output of alsa info loaded to upload=true&script=true&cardinfo= !!################################ !!ALSA In - Pastebin.com

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in anticipation

Default Re: opensuse 12.1 no sound whatsoever

Henk van Velden

Dear Henk,

thanks your immy reply.

carried out one click, no change except my boot partition is almost full now. There is no sound in yast in the first place.

rgds

Dear Henk,

thanks your immy reply.

carried out one click, no change except my boot partition is almost full now. There is no sound in yast in the first place.

rgds

It is a bit outside your problem, but do you have a separate /boot partition? When yes, installing software like multimedia stuff does not go there, how can it fill that /boot partition?

Also wouldn't it had been better when you had started this in the Multimedia subforum? That is where the sound/video/etc. experts are expected to look out for nice problems.
    And when you posted here in the hardware forum because you thought this is about your sound hardware, you did not even mention one tiny piece of information about that hardware.
    Henk van Velden

Dear Henk,

thanks a lot your reply.

yes, I do have a boot partition and I was surprised too, when receiving the warning during one click install, indeed this should have nothing to do with /boot

I was asking myself, whether this does belong to hardware or multimedia, but found other "sound" threats here and so chose to post here, should I change?

Thanks, rgds

Blog Entries

Apologies, as I appear to be coming in late, ... I only saw your post this AM, and its my wife's birthday, so I was a bit occupied.

I have some time now, and I think the answer to this problem was given in the first post in the diagnostic script output you posted ?

I looks to me that you have sound set to come out of the HDMI device, which is why you don't hear it.

I note this:
    Code:
    !!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
    !!--------------------------------------

00:01.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310]
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
    followed by this:
    Code:
    !!Aplay/Arecord output
    !!------------

APLAY

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
      Subdevices: 0/1
    card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
    from that it is pretty clear to me that the HDMI sound device is being setup as the 1st (default) sound device, which by DEFAULT is 'card 0'. Hence removing pulse audio won't solve anything (but everyone tends to blame pulse audio for the slightest problem in audio - which while once quite plausible, is no longer IMHO fair).

Further, from the aplay I can see hw:0,3 is HDMI device, hw:1,0 is analog sound, and hw:1,1 is digital sound.

If I assume that one is trying to get sound out of the analog device hw:1,0, then this could yield sound (as a test):

Code:
    aplay -D hw:1,0 -c2 test.wav
    where test.wav is a .wav file that you need to make up and put on your PC. I am assuming 2 channel sound here.

or this

Code:
    speaker-test -D hw:1,0 -c2 -l1 -twav
    where again I am assuming 2 channel sound.

Now if those work (and even if they don't work) I recommend you install the application 'pulse audio volume control' (pavucontrol) and then run pavucontrol the 1st time you run any multimedia application and tune it for your audio. I have a blog entry here which goes through this: Pulseaudio Basics for openSUSE with pavucontrol - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Good luck !
    Last edited by oldcpu; 22-Jan-2012 at 02:35.

Blog Entries

On a subject DIFFERENT from your sound, I note this:
    Code:
    [   13.864361] [drm] Radeon display connector DP-1: No monitor connected or invalid EDID
    [   13.971168] [drm] Radeon display connector HDMI-A-1: Found valid EDID
    [   13.981291] [drm] Radeon display connector VGA-1: No monitor connected or invalid EDID
    which suggests you may also have graphics problems ?

If so, you may wish to start a separate thread on that, if you have not done so already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matcyp View Post
    Have a Zotac Ad-02 with AMD 350, installed os 12.1 fresh from DVD, pc connected to TV with HDMI
    Reading again, are you trying to sound out of the HDMI ? If so, then my above post is inaccurate.

Does this give HDMI sound :
    Code:
    aplay -D hw:0,3 -c2 test.wav
    where test.wav is a .wav file that you need to make up and put on your PC. I am assuming 2 channel sound here.

or this
    Code:
    speaker-test -D hw:0,3 -c2 -l1 -twav
    give HDMI sound ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Reading again, are you trying to sound out of the HDMI ? If so, then my above post is inaccurate.
    Further to this, if you are trying to get HDMI sound, and if the above command (trying to push sound through HDMI's hw:0,3 ) doesn't work, can you provide the output of:

Code:
    cat /proc/asound/pcm
    I ask that as I note an arch linux user with a PC with ALC892 hardware (similar to yours) struggled a bit with HDMI sound and discovered hw:0,7 and hw:0,8 in addition to hw:0,3 (even though it was not picked up by ' aplay -l ' command). In which case tests I gave for HDMI could also be using 'hw:0,7' or 'hw:0,8' in place of 'hw:0,3'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast