Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin and menu become unresponsive; Dolphin terminates, reboot required

Default Dolphin and menu become unresponsive; Dolphin terminates, reboot required

This has happened to me the last two days. After my computer sits and the monitors go into power save mode, when I wake it up, the open Dolphin window is unresponsive. All other windows are fine. If I try to close Dolphin, I get a terminate message and I choose to terminate it. But when I subsequently open Dolphin I get a blank non-functional window only. Next, when I attempt to restart the computer, the main menu doesn't work so the normal way to leave is not available. Fortunately, today I had a terminal window already open and I simply issued a shutdown command there.

This is a new 12.1 installation on a new computer. I just noticed the issue and I haven't really begun to use the system yet -- I'm just setting it up and evaluating it so far. But I think the current problem may have started when I attached an external USB HDD drive to the computer. I'm guessing that when the USB HDD goes to sleep, Dolphin hangs. And when Dolphin hangs, apparently the main menu no longer works either.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dolphin and menu become unresponsive; Dolphin terminates, reboot required

I never let my screen use power save
    My settings: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/SUS...rsettings.jpeg
    (I manually switch the screen off if I am leaving it)
    I have not even tried the power saving, never do.

I have an external USB, connected all the time. It's ext4 format and I have no issues. It does spin down.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Dolphin and menu become unresponsive; Dolphin terminates, reboot required

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I never let my screen use power save
    My settings: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/SUSE Misc/powersettings.jpeg
    (I manually switch the screen off if I am leaving it)
    I have not even tried the power saving, never do.
    One of my requirements for the Linux distro that I use is that all its power management features work, including suspend to RAM and resume. I use all those features a lot and I rely upon them to be productive.

I have an external USB, connected all the time. It's ext4 format and I have no issues. It does spin down.
    OK, good to know. Maybe my guess about the problem was incorrect. Maybe it is not related to the external USB HDD at all. I don't really have another guess as to what the problem is. (But eliminating all power saving features is not an option for me. I'll have to switch distros before I'll do that.)

I temporarily disconnected my USB HDD and the problem has not reoccurred. Is your drive USB 3.0? (Mine is.)

Any ideas/suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? It's important to me to have the USB drive connected.

Blog Entries

No, my device is USB 2

how to troubleshoot
    Not sure
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I noticed something which might be related. When I have the file server (ext3) mounted and shut it down remotely (without unmounting first) Dolphin does not work any more. I still can access files from the command line but dolphin does not react any more. I have to log out and log in again before I can use dolphin again. THis happens to all of my computer (on i586 laptop, one 86_64laptop and one 86_64 desktop -all running opensuse 12.1/KDE). Since I know that this is a problem and I don't very often have to shut down the server I haven't checked if there is the same problem if I unmount the server first.
    Uli

Quote Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
    when I attempt to restart the computer, the main menu doesn't work so the normal way to leave is not available. Fortunately, today I had a terminal window already open and I simply issued a shutdown command there.
    You can hold ctrl+alt and hit backspace twice to restart X when it gets stuck like that.
    I've had KDE 4.7 freezing too, no powersaving enabled and no USB drives plugged in.
    Same dolphin issue though, it just hangs and won't open again when killed. In fact, it will open, but takes about 2 minutes.
    It's a wild guess but it could be related to dbus.

Quote Originally Posted by finders View Post
    You can hold ctrl+alt and hit backspace twice to restart X when it gets stuck like that.
    I've had KDE 4.7 freezing too, no powersaving enabled and no USB drives plugged in.
    Same dolphin issue though, it just hangs and won't open again when killed. In fact, it will open, but takes about 2 minutes.
    Hmmm... thanks. Very interesting.

I decided to try out Kubuntu for a few days. I installed KDE 4.8 rc2 and Linux kernel 3.2 (because I felt bad that Kubuntu 11.10 was so far behind OpenSuse 12.1
    So far I'm not having any problems. I may stick with Kubuntu (because my background is with Ubuntu). But I really don't know how people can compare Kubuntu to OpenSuse. Kubuntu lacks 90% of OpenSuse's polish and finish and professional look. I felt like I went backwards by 5 years when I switched from OpenSuse to Kubuntu. But once you get it installed and set up, Kubuntu is OK. I'm used to the package management and other tools. (Although, I must say that now I have gotten to the point where I like zypper the best.) If Kubuntu keeps working, I'm going to stick with it, but I will miss OpenSuse.

josephkk NNTP User

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 06:46:02 GMT, MountainX
    <MountainX@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    >finders;2432878 Wrote:
    >> You can hold ctrl+alt and hit backspace twice to restart X when it gets
    >> stuck like that.
    >> I've had KDE 4.7 freezing too, no powersaving enabled and no USB drives
    >> plugged in.
    >> Same dolphin issue though, it just hangs and won't open again when
    >> killed. In fact, it will open, but takes about 2 minutes.
    >> It's a wild guess but it could be related to dbus.

>
    >Hmmm... thanks. Very interesting.
    >
    >I decided to try out Kubuntu for a few days. I installed KDE 4.8 rc2
    >and Linux kernel 3.2 (because I felt bad that Kubuntu 11.10 was so far
    >behind OpenSuse 12.1
    >So far I'm not having any problems. I may stick with Kubuntu (because
    >my background is with Ubuntu). But I really don't know how people can
    >compare Kubuntu to OpenSuse. Kubuntu lacks 90% of OpenSuse's polish and
    >finish and professional look. I felt like I went backwards by 5 years
    >when I switched from OpenSuse to Kubuntu. But once you get it installed
    >and set up, Kubuntu is OK. I'm used to the package management and other
    >tools. (Although, I must say that now I have gotten to the point where I
    >like zypper the best.) If Kubuntu keeps working, I'm going to stick with
    >it, but I will miss OpenSuse.

With a tad more disk space and mind space you can always do both. Several
    around here do multiple distributions.

?-)

Quote Originally Posted by finders View Post
    Now that Kubuntu 12.04 beta 1 is out, I'm starting another round of decision-making in order to try to find my new long term distro. I'm still considering openSuse (or maybe the paid version so I can get support).

In the last month I didn't find any distro that didn't have serious bugs, so I'm still looking for my new home. I'm still primarily interested in moving to KDE, although I am a bit discouraged by all the bugs I have encountered with KDE Plasma Activities.

Anyway, I want to install openSuse again. Should I expect that the bug I encountered above (Dolphin and menu freeze) will have been addressed by now? Does anyone have more thoughts about it?

This bug and the systemD init (boot) problem were the biggest issues I encountered with openSuse. And this one is the only one I wasn't able to work around. I'm hoping there is a solution now. I read an openSuse review that stated a number of issues were addressed in the months following the release of 12.1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast