Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux Kernel 3.3 RCX has Been Released To Test - Post Your Comments Here!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Linux Kernel 3.3 RCX has Been Released To Test - Post YourCommentsHere!

Kernel Log: Coming in 3.3 (Part 1) - Networking - The H Open Source: News and Features

Finally, the first article of many at the H Open Source just for the new kernel 3.3, now with Networking first up for discussion.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Linux Kernel 3.3 RCX has Been Released To Test - Post Your Comments Here!

Resuming Kernel 3.3 testing after a brief interruption, I have encountered a roadblock. While I have compiled kernels from the kernel.org source(s), I generally test from the Kernel/HEAD and Kernel/vanilla repositories. Apparently, Kernel/vanilla has gone missing from Index of /repositories/Kernel:. (Actually, the directory entry remains, but the repository is empty). Further, Kernel/linux-next is similarly absent.

A quick perusal of openSUSE Kernel Resources and into the "vanilla" and "linux-next" branches reveals no new information.

Last 3.3 kernel (3.3rc1-1) crashes and burns quite quickly on Intel graphics, and dies somewhat slower with Radeon. While I can easily compile a 3.3rc1 on the Intel platform, the much older and slower Radeon would take an unreasonable amount of time. However, it appears that kernel.org has nothing newer than the orphaned 3.3rc1-vanilla kernel available.

Have I missed the memo ?
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 x64 + 42.3 x64, KDE 5.19.4, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 7

Test:: openSUSE 15.1, KDE Plasma, Windows/XP/SP3 guest.

Default Re: Linux Kernel 3.3 RCX has Been Released To Test - Post Your Comments Here!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMc98 View Post
    Resuming Kernel 3.3 testing after a brief interruption, I have encountered a roadblock. While I have compiled kernels from the kernel.org source(s), I generally test from the Kernel/HEAD and Kernel/vanilla repositories. Apparently, Kernel/vanilla has gone missing from Index of /repositories/Kernel:. (Actually, the directory entry remains, but the repository is empty). Further, Kernel/linux-next is similarly absent.

A quick perusal of openSUSE Kernel Resources and into the "vanilla" and "linux-next" branches reveals no new information.

Last 3.3 kernel (3.3rc1-1) crashes and burns quite quickly on Intel graphics, and dies somewhat slower with Radeon. While I can easily compile a 3.3rc1 on the Intel platform, the much older and slower Radeon would take an unreasonable amount of time. However, it appears that kernel.org has nothing newer than the orphaned 3.3rc1-vanilla kernel available.

Have I missed the memo ?
    They are in standard everything else has been empty for some time
    Dale
    Computer ntel Next Unit of Computing Kit, Black/Grey BOXDCCP847DYE
    Processor intel celeron 847 @ 1.1 GHz
    Video intel sandybridge mobile

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Linux Kernel 3.3 RCX has Been Released To Test - Post Your Comments Here!

Well tonight I have installed kernel 3.3-rc2 without error. Everything is working fine. I have not seen a new post at the H Online yet for rc2, but I will keep looking. http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern....3-rc2.tar.bz2

I also have installed the latest nVIDIA beta driver 295.17 and I had to make the same fix required by all to get the driver to compile:

Code:
    cd /lib/modules/3.3.0-rc2-0.9-desktop/source/arch/x86/include ; sudo cp generated/asm/*.h ./asm
    or

Code:
    cd /lib/modules/<kernel name>/source/arch/x86/include ; sudo cp generated/asm/*.h ./asm
    So far, 295.17 is working better than 295.09 which had a problem with KDE for some reason. You can get the latest 64 bit nVIDIA driver this way using terminal:

Code:
    cd ~/Downloads ; wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/295.17/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.17.run
    Thank You,

Quote Originally Posted by dale14846 View Post
    They are in standard everything else has been empty for some time
    I last pulled 3.3rc1 -vanilla from the now-empty Index of /repositories/Kernel:/vanilla repositories on 2012.01.20, so this brief interval may qualify as "some time".

As for "in standard",

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard has kernel 3.2.0-7.3 (all flavors)

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/openSUSE-12.1/standard contains kernel 3.1.9-6.1 (all flavors)

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard contains kernel 3.2.2-2.1 (all flavors)

All above references current as of this writing. Is there a fourth (or further) "standard" repository that I should look for kernel 3.3 ?

Was there any announcement, correspondence or other communications indicating such changes ? Apparently, openSUSE Kernel Resources, Branch info and Packages are no longer current.
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 x64 + 42.3 x64, KDE 5.19.4, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 7

Test:: openSUSE 15.1, KDE Plasma, Windows/XP/SP3 guest.

Blog Entries

I last pulled 3.3rc1 -vanilla from the now-empty Index of /repositories/Kernel:/vanilla repositories on 2012.01.20, so this brief interval may qualify as "some time".

As for "in standard",

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/openSUSE-12.1/standard contains kernel 3.1.9-6.1 (all flavors)

Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard contains kernel 3.2.2-2.1 (all flavors)

All above references current as of this writing. Is there a fourth (or further) "standard" repository that I should look for kernel 3.3 ?

Was there any announcement, correspondence or other communications indicating such changes ? Apparently, openSUSE Kernel Resources, Branch info and Packages are no longer current.
    Well I sure do not know the answer to your question except that the start of the new year saw a couple of things dropped like our weekly news release, so not keeping up with kernels may be another dropped ball perhaps. Since you can do the same on your own, I am not sure what to say here that really matters.

Thank You,

Kernel 3.3 rc3 is out and is in the head repository Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard/x86_64
    Dale
    Computer ntel Next Unit of Computing Kit, Black/Grey BOXDCCP847DYE
    Processor intel celeron 847 @ 1.1 GHz
    Video intel sandybridge mobile

As for "in standard",

Does anyone know if the ../stable/standard/ repo has updated to gcc46? Last time I tried it nvidia had to be compiled with gcc45.
    Pete

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peteh100 View Post
    Does anyone know if the ../stable/standard/ repo has updated to gcc46? Last time I tried it nvidia had to be compiled with gcc45.
    I have not recently had an issue compiling in the nVIDIA driver due to a gcc version problem, neither in openSUSE 11.4 or in 12.1. Perhaps more information might be helpful to understand what is wrong.

Thank You,

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Linux Kernel 3.3 RCX has Been Released To Test - Post Your Comments Here!

So I have installed kernel-3.3-rc3 tonight and it is working just fine. I have also installed the nVIDIA driver 295.17 which still requires the fix mentioned before for it to compile. I am now playing around with DKMS and using it to load the nVIDIA driver and I have that working under openSUSE 11.4 just fine using my new bash utility I call "S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer" using "DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support for the nVIDIA Video Driver". I will be releasing it shortly but I am having issues with DKMS and openSUSE 12.1 for now, but I am working to solve that problem.

Thank You,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast