Package Search

I am looking for two packages that I cannot seem to find that I require for a project that I can find in the Ubuntu repositories. The packages are

rsh-client rstat-client

Could someone kindly point me to a third party repositories for these two packages.

On 01/19/2012 06:26 PM, metallica1973 wrote:
> rsh-client rstat-client

i have no idea what those packages provide to Debian based systems, but
apparently you do…so, i’d suggest you open YaST Software Management,
and search on “rsh” and “rstat” and read the package descriptions

alternately you can also search for and read package descriptions at
http://software.opensuse.org/search

or, describe exactly what those named packages provide, and maybe
someone here will know what you should go for here…

DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

When I go to YaST > Software > Software management and search for ‘rsh*’, *I am offered the package rsh which,according to the description:

rsh - Clients for remote access commands (rsh, rlogin, and rcp)

This package contains programs that allow users to run commands on remote machines, to log in to other machines, and to copy files between machines (rsh, rexec, rlogin, and rcp). These commands use rhosts style authentication. For secure communication, openssh (SSH) should be used.

Thus I guess at least half of your problem seems to be solved in a standard and obvious openSUSE way. Maybe rstat is part of it. You can check that after you installed rsh.

NB. This is on openSUSE 11.4, but as yo ‘forgot’ to mention what you use, my answer is as good as any other.

NB2. I hope you are aware that rsh is nowadays (and allready for years) considered to be very unsecure. Use SSH.

On 01/19/2012 08:26 PM, hcvv wrote:
> Thus I guess at least half of your problem seems to be solved in a
> standard and obvious openSUSE way.

i saw all of that also…but, decided to instead of providing a meal, to
teach the OP how to fish a little in YaST, and see how utterly easy it is.

DD