Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Help with povray 3.7

  1. #1

    Default Help with povray 3.7

    Does anyone here using povray 3.7 on openSUSE 12.1?
    I am looking for a kind soul's help to find a povray 3.7 rpm for openSUSE 12.1 64bit
    As you might probably aware of, the available povray version in the openSUSE repo is version 3.61
    and is not compatible as a plugin maybe to blender 2.59 with the povray 3.7 integration.

    Right now I am using yafaray to blender 2.49 in openSUSE 11.3 but I am planning to remove the
    openSUSE 11.3 on my machine to make room for a larger space, that is why I am looking for an alternative
    raytracer.

    Thanks in advance
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:26:03 +0000, conram wrote:

    > Does anyone here using povray 3.7 on openSUSE 12.1?


    I have been known to play around with it on occasion, as well as being a
    part of that community as well.

    > I am looking for a kind soul's help to find a povray 3.7 rpm for
    > openSUSE 12.1 64bit As you might probably aware of, the available povray
    > version in the openSUSE repo is version 3.61 and is not compatible as a
    > plugin maybe to blender 2.59 with the povray 3.7 integration.


    You won't find a 3.7 RPM yet as 3.7 is still in beta - the POVray team
    only distributes 3.7 in source form right now for Linux.

    > Right now I am using yafaray to blender 2.49 in openSUSE 11.3 but I am
    > planning to remove the openSUSE 11.3 on my machine to make room for a
    > larger space, that is why I am looking for an alternative raytracer.


    I'm not sure I understand why moving from 11.3 to something else
    (presumably upgrading to 12.1?) limits you using Yafray with Blender - of
    course, POVray 3.61 is a good release as well and one that you could use
    unless you have a specific need for features in 3.7 (do you?). What's
    pushing you to use 3.7?

    Jim


    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:26:03 +0000, conram wrote:

    > Does anyone here using povray 3.7 on openSUSE 12.1?


    I have been known to play around with it on occasion, as well as being a
    part of that community as well.

    > I am looking for a kind soul's help to find a povray 3.7 rpm for
    > openSUSE 12.1 64bit As you might probably aware of, the available povray
    > version in the openSUSE repo is version 3.61 and is not compatible as a
    > plugin maybe to blender 2.59 with the povray 3.7 integration.


    You won't find a 3.7 RPM yet as 3.7 is still in beta - the POVray team
    only distributes 3.7 in source form right now for Linux.

    > Right now I am using yafaray to blender 2.49 in openSUSE 11.3 but I am
    > planning to remove the openSUSE 11.3 on my machine to make room for a
    > larger space, that is why I am looking for an alternative raytracer.


    I'm not sure I understand why moving from 11.3 to something else
    (presumably upgrading to 12.1?) limits you using Yafray with Blender - of
    course, POVray 3.61 is a good release as well and one that you could use
    unless you have a specific need for features in 3.7 (do you?). What's
    pushing you to use 3.7?

    Jim


    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    To clarify it is not Yafray, I am using in 11.3, what I am using is theYafaRay 0.1.1 to blender 2.49 exporter
    I compiled this before and I can do the rendering using YafaRay from inside blender.

    I am planning to remove 11.3 from my machine to make room for a larger space. This machine I am using has
    11.3 and 11.4 Now planning to install 12.1 along side with 11.4. Right now I am getting used to the new blender version 2.5x
    and I found out that this new blender version has POVRay 3.7 exporter that got my interest.


    Edit:
    It seems the only way to get 3.7 is to compile it myself. I was avoiding it to not add more load on my machine's hard drive and on top of that I am not a good compiler (amateur).

    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:36:03 +0000, conram wrote:

    > To clarify it is not Yafray, I am using in 11.3, what I am using is
    > theYafaRay 0.1.1 to blender 2.49 exporter I compiled this before and I
    > can do the rendering using YafaRay from inside blender.


    Ah, I see.

    > I am planning to remove 11.3 from my machine to make room for a larger
    > space. This machine I am using has 11.3 and 11.4 Now planning to install
    > 12.1 along side with 11.4. Right now I am getting used to the new
    > blender version 2.5x and I found out that this new blender version has
    > POVRay 3.7 exporter that got my interest.


    POVRay 3.7 isn't difficult to build, though there is an issue with
    getting the configuration right on 64-bit systems. There's a note about
    that at http://povray.org/beta/source/ (see the note about 64-bit systems
    and requiring boost_thread-mt).

    The supporting libraries are all in the OSS repository for openSUSE.
    You'll need the relevant -devel packages as well if you want to build it.

    I didn't know tha tthere was a 3.7 exporter in Blender now, so I'll have
    to check that out.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    Yes, you are right I saw it in their site.
    I will try to compile it and learn how to use POV-Ray.

    Once again, thanks !
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    I had the time compiling POV-Ray 3.7RC3 using checkinstall.
    I was able to successfully made an RPM for openSUSE 12.1
    I installed it using yast and tested with the blender 2.59 from openSUSE 12.1 repo.
    Using the blender povray exporter I tried to test to render, but the result is all black.
    I may have to do more digging to find a way to make this work.

    Any input/thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 05:36:02 +0000, conram wrote:

    > I had the time compiling POV-Ray 3.7RC3 using checkinstall.
    > I was able to successfully made an RPM for openSUSE 12.1 I installed it
    > using yast and tested with the blender 2.59 from openSUSE 12.1 repo.
    > Using the blender povray exporter I tried to test to render, but the
    > result is all black.
    > I may have to do more digging to find a way to make this work.
    >
    > Any input/thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.


    I may have some time this weekend to play around with it - glad to hear
    you got the compile to work.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 05:36:02 +0000, conram wrote:

    > I had the time compiling POV-Ray 3.7RC3 using checkinstall.
    > I was able to successfully made an RPM for openSUSE 12.1 I installed it
    > using yast and tested with the blender 2.59 from openSUSE 12.1 repo.
    > Using the blender povray exporter I tried to test to render, but the
    > result is all black.
    > I may have to do more digging to find a way to make this work.
    >
    > Any input/thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.


    I may have some time this weekend to play around with it - glad to hear
    you got the compile to work.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    I did not do any modification when I compiled it. The checkinstall used /usr/local and I had to
    create some directory in /usr/local to finish checkinstall. Any tips you can give me the right
    way to do it in openSUSE will be much appreciated.

    As a side note:
    I did some googling with the black screen output rendering from blender 2.59 to povray
    and I found same problems without a solution.

    I want to try the blender-2.61-linux-glibc27-x86_64.tar.bz2 but I am not sure if it will
    find povray 3.7 when I extract and use it. Any hint as to the right place to save the extracted
    tarball with the possibility of finding the povray 3.7 installed rpm?
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    On 2012-01-18 16:26, conram wrote:
    > I did not do any modification when I compiled it. The checkinstall used
    > /usr/local and I had to
    > create some directory in /usr/local to finish checkinstall. Any tips
    > you can give me the right
    > way to do it in openSUSE will be much appreciated.


    Checkinstall may have problems to complete. My trick is to do first a "make
    install", that creates the directories that would fail, then run
    checkinstall to create the rpm.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help with povray 3.7

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-01-18 16:26, conram wrote:
    > I did not do any modification when I compiled it. The checkinstall used
    > /usr/local and I had to
    > create some directory in /usr/local to finish checkinstall. Any tips
    > you can give me the right
    > way to do it in openSUSE will be much appreciated.


    Checkinstall may have problems to complete. My trick is to do first a "make
    install", that creates the directories that would fail, then run
    checkinstall to create the rpm.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
    Thanks for the info. I will try it next time.

    Update on povray 3.7 to blender.
    I downloaded the latest blender 5.61 tarball
    and extracted to /home/me/.local
    and did a quick test rendering using the povray 3.7 plugin
    and it worked. My guess is, the black screen that I previously posted
    is on blender 2.59. version.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •