mouse coding in suse linux info

Hello all. I need to learn all about suse linux mouse coding. Where are some good articles to read on the subject? From novice to advanced. Thanks.

lord valarian wrote:
> Hello all. I need to learn all about suse linux mouse coding.

What is suse linux mouse coding?

Examples of how to write mouse code for basic learning applications. Easy to understand and compile with many comments.

A basic note pad application that uses the mouse, commented enough to understand how it works.

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, lord valarian wrote:

>
> djh-novell;2431196 Wrote:
>> lord valarian wrote:
>>> Hello all. I need to learn all about suse linux mouse coding.
>>
>> What is suse linux mouse coding?
>
> Examples of how to write mouse code for basic learning applications.
> Easy to understand and compile with many comments.
>
> A basic note pad application that uses the mouse, commented enough to
> understand how it works.

It seems to me that when you say ‘mouse coding’ you actually mean GUI (graphic user interface), correct?

What programming language are you using?

I’ve been playing around with Qt with C++ lately, it seems quite straightforward, and you can find lots of tutorial material online. Also, GTK is good and you can use either of these with other languages such as Python too.

If you’re using Java you could take a look at Swing.

If you haven’t learnt a programming language yet, you’ll probably be better off learning at least the basics of a programming language before you start thinking about GUIs.

Kind regards,
Barry D. Nichols

Wine coding: “mouse.c” I need a very basic GUI program that’s uses the mouse. So, I can understand what going on that code. (PS, winehq won’t help. Don’t ask more.)

I’ve been playing around with Qt with C++ lately, it seems quite straightforward, and you can find lots of tutorial material online. Also, GTK is good and you can use either of these with other languages such as Python too. If you’re using Java you could take a look at Swing. If you haven’t learned a programming language yet, you’ll probably be better off learning at least the basics of a programming language before you start thinking about GUIs.

I need sample code. I found some examples in the internet, nothing helpful. How about GTK in C code. Commenting on almost every line.

I’m a pro. It was my previous career. Many classes in structured programing. My skills are dated, didn’t include “./configure”, “make”, and mouse coding.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, lord valarian wrote:
> I need sample code. I found some examples in the internet, nothing
> helpful. How about GTK in C code. Commenting on almost every line.
>
> I’m a pro. It was my previous career. Many classes in structured
> programing. My skills are dated, didn’t include “./configure”, “make”,
> and mouse coding.
>

OK, cool. As you know what you’re doing with C, you could take a look at the official tutorial online: http://developer.gnome.org/gtk-tutorial/stable/

Has plenty of examples, with a LOT of comments.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Kind regards,
Barry D. Nichols

> Barry D. Nichols

sorry very off topic but a question for Barry: do either NLZ or BIX have
meaning to you?

DD

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, DenverD wrote:

>
>> Barry D. Nichols
>
> sorry very off topic but a question for Barry: do either NLZ or BIX have
> meaning to you?

No, why?

Kind regards,
Barry D. Nichols

On 01/21/2012 01:32 AM, Barry_Nichols@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org wrote:
> No, why?

your name rang a bell from long ago private forums where folks paid to
enter discussions on computers (and other things
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_Information_Exchange>)…

there was (i’m pretty sure) a ‘Barry Nichols’ there…that is all…

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

I meant to I need KDE mouse codeing, but the gnome will be good.

I’v set winecfg to use dinput(dll). I’m sure now “empire earth I” doesn’t use dinput in wine. So, it been suggested that the x11 code is where I can fix the mouse code. So, can you find some examples of x11 coding?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012, lord valarian wrote:

> I meant to I need KDE mouse codeing, but the gnome will be good.

If you want to learn Qt (which is what KDE uses) there are plenty of similar online tutorials for that, but you can write programs written using GTK (which you specifically asked about) can run in KDE.

> I’v set winecfg to use dinput(dll). I’m sure now “empire earth I”
> doesn’t use dinput in wine. So, it been suggested that the x11 code is
> where I can fix the mouse code. So, can you find some examples of x11
> coding?

Are you just trying to get a specific game to run in wine? If so, maybe you’d get more useful help on another forum, maybe the games forum.

Kind regards,
Barry D. Nichols

On 01/22/2012 06:15 PM, Barry_Nichols@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org wrote:
> Are you just trying to get a specific game to run in wine? If so, maybe
> you’d get more useful help on another forum, maybe the games forum.

or a forum at Wine HQ…

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

winehq won’t help for some reason.

Examples of x11 code using the mouse. Not asking about wine, just where to find sample code reading the mouse.

lord valarian wrote:
> winehq won’t help for some reason.
>
> Examples of x11 code using the mouse. Not asking about wine, just where
> to find sample code reading the mouse.

The answer to that question is any book about X windows programming.

If you ask more specific questions you’re liable to get better answers.

What was the ‘some reason’ that winehq won’t help?

I just bought a a new video card. So, that would be in 6 months to year from before I can afford anything more. So, some free x11 tutorial.

If you ask more specific questions you’re liable to get better answers.

Here are the facts leading to my question:

“Empire Earth I” now installs without crashing thanks to a script in POL. POL launches it with “plain wine”(1.3.36, 1.3.37 crashes). The mouse will only move if you move it fast and a large distance. So, wine mouse emulation is failing. “dinput.dll” is used to translate linux mouse to window mouse, absolute mouse positioning to relative mouse positioning. I have it setup to compile to the right place. Wine Config is setup correctly. However, any changes to “dinput.dll” are having no effect. Which leads me to conclusion that EE’s mouse data is coming from somewhere else. The X11drv code is next area to change. If you see a flaw in my logic above, say s0.

As you can see, this is mind-bendingly complex. I’m learning mouse code slowly as I read code. Learning mouse coding across two OS’s. Basicly I need to know what this, that, and the other do. It’s a long list for the development forum. If it’s allowed I’ll post it here. Sections of X11drv, what they do? In general. Not enough comments in the code for me to make sense of it. Else, I’ll continue this on development forum.

What was the ‘some reason’ that winehq won’t help?

‘some reason’ implies logic. I see none. I can’t explain it, because there is no logic there. The POL admins tried to explain it to me, but I still don’t get it. I’m not posting on there again. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Wine developers are interested in proper fixes that can be incorporated into Wine. POL incorporates dirty hacks that can make one app work, but which can break many others. They have a history of installing said hacks without informing the user, and POL users wasting Wine developers’ time by filing invalid bugs for problems caused by those hacks. You are not going to get any help from WineHQ to create a hack for POL.

Read the post on POL and comment there. The admins are the experts, not me.

I’ll take this to development forum. Since this is a development matter.