Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Gnome 3.2 crashes every 10 minutes (aprox)

  1. #1

    Default Gnome 3.2 crashes every 10 minutes (aprox)

    Hi Everyone!


    I'm having a hard time to use my laptop because Gnome 3.2 in openSUSE 12.1 crashes all the time so I have to log in again every time that this happen. For a moment I thought it was something incompatible with some KDE applications and Gnome but I format my computer and start with a new user and I'm still having this annoying problem.

    the thing is when Gnome crashes, it doesn't say anything just prompt me the log in screen, I started analyzing /var/log/message and I found this minute very interesting, even though I'm pretty sure this is the problem I don't know how to fix it (in my opinion the most interesting are at the beginning and at the end)

    thanks so much for your help!!! :-)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,044

    Default Re: Gnome 3.2 crashes every 10 minutes (aprox)

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:26:03 +0000, juanp 1982 wrote:

    > For a moment I thought it was something incompatible with some KDE
    > applications and Gnome but I format my computer and start with a new
    > user and I'm still having this annoying problem.


    Can you tell us what your hardware is - graphics controller in
    particular, but CPU, memory, etc - that would be helpful since G3 is
    particularly dependent on graphics acceleration.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,729
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Gnome 3.2 crashes every 10 minutes (aprox)

    Try booting with systemV
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/12.....1_F5_sysV.jpg

    Does it make any difference
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  4. #4

    Default Re: Gnome 3.2 crashes every 10 minutes (aprox)

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:26:03 +0000, juanp 1982 wrote:

    > For a moment I thought it was something incompatible with some KDE
    > applications and Gnome but I format my computer and start with a new
    > user and I'm still having this annoying problem.


    Can you tell us what your hardware is - graphics controller in
    particular, but CPU, memory, etc - that would be helpful since G3 is
    particularly dependent on graphics acceleration.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    Hi hendersj

    I have an i3 core, 6 Gb of Ram and this is what I have for video Card:
    "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0610
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 41
    Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    Memory at a0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 3050 [size=8]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
    Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    "

    @caf4926

    I'll do that in an hour

    Thank both of you for helping me!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York, USA
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Gnome 3.2 crashes every 10 minutes (aprox)

    Quote Originally Posted by juanp_1982 View Post
    Hi Everyone!


    I'm having a hard time to use my laptop because Gnome 3.2 in openSUSE 12.1 crashes all the time so I have to log in again every time that this happen. For a moment I thought it was something incompatible with some KDE applications and Gnome but I format my computer and start with a new user and I'm still having this annoying problem.

    the thing is when Gnome crashes, it doesn't say anything just prompt me the log in screen, I started analyzing /var/log/message and I found this minute very interesting, even though I'm pretty sure this is the problem I don't know how to fix it (in my opinion the most interesting are at the beginning and at the end)

    thanks so much for your help!!! :-)
    It appears from your posts that you have an Intel i3 with Intel Integrated Graphics. From the highlighted symptom (above), it is possible that the cause is a crash in Xorg. Should the earlier suggestion (re: use systemv) fail to resolve your problem, do the following:

    1. Run as usual
    2. When you spontaneously return to the login screen, login again.
    3. Examine Xorg.0.log.old. The last ~100-200 lines will provide valuable information concerning a failure in Xorg. Post the last ~100-200 lines here, and also post the first ~200 lines of the same log.
    4. When you post back, include your specific Acer model number and the full processor (i3-xxx/i3-xxxM/i3-xxxx/i3-xxxxxM).
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE Leap 15.0 x64 + 42.3 x64, KDE 5.15.3, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 7

    Test:: openSUSE 15.0, KDE Plasma, Windows/XP/SP3 guest.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Gnome 3.2 crashes every 10 minutes (aprox)

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanMc98 View Post
    It appears from your posts that you have an Intel i3 with Intel Integrated Graphics. From the highlighted symptom (above), it is possible that the cause is a crash in Xorg. Should the earlier suggestion (re: use systemv) fail to resolve your problem, do the following:

    1. Run as usual
    2. When you spontaneously return to the login screen, login again.
    3. Examine Xorg.0.log.old. The last ~100-200 lines will provide valuable information concerning a failure in Xorg. Post the last ~100-200 lines here, and also post the first ~200 lines of the same log.
    4. When you post back, include your specific Acer model number and the full processor (i3-xxx/i3-xxxM/i3-xxxx/i3-xxxxxM).

    Hi SeanMc98

    thanks for answering this post, I copied the Xorg.0.log.old file that was created when all this happened, I upload the whole file because when I was counting the line to edit the file I though I could leave some important information out

    My Laptop is an Acer Aspire 7739-645 i3-370M

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gnome 3.2 crashes every 10 minutes (aprox)

    a small update, I'm still having the same problem, I just read in /var/log/message this line just when Gnome crashed

    Jan 19 17:14:13 linux-2q1j gnome-session[2568]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
    Jan 19 17:14:13 linux-2q1j systemd-logind[933]: Removed session 5.
    Jan 19 17:14:13 linux-2q1j dbus-daemon[1017]: **** /proc/self/mountinfo changed
    Jan 19 17:14:13 linux-2q1j polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session4 (system bus name :1.138, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.utf8) (disconnected from bus)
    I have started to notices that gnome crashes when I'm in the web visiting certain pages (for example I haven been able to go to Youtube in 30 minutes because Gnome crashes every time, I have try 4 times in two browser)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •