Background:
I recently upgraded to openSUSE 12.1, found the new Gnome3 desktop unsuitable for my needs and decided that KDE4 is the preferable GUI desktop for me. The Default PIM in KDE4 is Kontact, which I could not get stabilized after considerable effort. I uninstalled Kontact and installed Evolution in Yast. Evolution is stable.

I was able to retrieve my old email and settings from an Evolution backup made before the upgrade to openSUSE 12.1.

I was able to transfer my Contacts from my Blackberry by synchronizing with Outlook on a Windows box and then making a .pst archive to a flash drive and importing it into Evolution.

Problem:
The Contacts created by importing from a .pst file do not link with the Mail function in Evolution. There is no contact list available when I use the "To" button on a new email. The Select Contacts dialog box pops up showing Address Book = Personal (the only one on the machine), Category = Any Category, an empty Search box and an empty Contacts list.

What am I missing? Several possibilities have crossed my mind:
  • I did not install the packages necessary to link the Contacts list to Mail when I installed Evolution
  • There is a distinction between Address Book and Contacts in Evolution requiring Contacts to be moved into an Address Book for use with Mail.

If someone would point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Cordially,
TwoHoot