Thread: PIMS - Kontact & Evolution

Default PIMS - Kontact & Evolution

A month ago I was griping about Evolution on my Computer #2. I finally got it working with multiple email accounts. It is stable.

Even so, I was looking forward to using the KDE4 Desktop and Kontact on Computer #1. Kontact really reads good but......

Kontact's Kmail component with its convoluted Akonadi/MySQLdatabase/KDE Wallet UserID/password retrieval scheme just isn't stable. I have repeatedly had to go back and redo the POP/SMTP setup as the settings revert from what I entered back to the default settings.

Most recently, the SMTP on one of the accounts refused to send because the userID (my email address) mysteriously changed to some kind of encryption hash. Yes, I can delete the SMTP account, set it up again and have it work correctly - FOR A FEW HOURS OR DAYS. Computers usually repeat the problem until you fix it. Kmail just seems to generate problems randomly.

For many users, the PIM is the most important application on the computer after the browser. I spend fully a third of my work time with email, calendars, notes and task scheduling.

My wife works almost exclusively in Outlook. Microsoft Outlook synchronizes easily with my Blackberry so the information entered away from my computer doesn't have to be re-entered manually. That is the main reason I still have a Windows computer at all (the secondary reason is that DeLorme mapping requires Windows).

Please guys, make a super PIM with smart-phone synch a development priority.

END OF RANT

I think I will uninstall Kontact and Install Evolution on the KDE box just so I can get back to work.

I would appreciate any comment or guidance from the people who know their way around openSUSE 12.1.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.8.7
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 42.2; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.8.3
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.8.7

Default Re: PIMS - Kontact & Evolution

Am 12.01.2012 03:06, schrieb TwoHoot:
    >
    > My wife works almost exclusively in Outlook. Microsoft Outlook
    > synchronizes easily with my Blackberry so the information entered away
    > from my computer doesn't have to be re-entered manually. That is the
    > main reason I still have a Windows computer at all (the secondary reason
    > is that DeLorme mapping requires Windows).
    >

Is this somehow of interest
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/8x4z58p

--
    PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
    4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.4 |
    nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Default Re: PIMS - Kontact & Evolution

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I think the Google intermediary transfer will work, although I have not tried to actually do it.

The problem is that I am becoming paranoid about Google, the social media sites and "the cloud" in general. They seem like huge data aggregators that offer some cute service in order to gather every shred of information about individual users. I think a copy of my Address book will stay in the Google database.

I didn't think much about this until a friend of mine was turned down for a management level job based on a background check that included old Facebook postings, pictures and associations. What goes "out there" stays "out there". It will become public at the worst possible time in the worst possible way.

It is like fighting the tide though. Everything on my Blackberry is already in the RIM database and the AT&T (my service provider) database. I expect a WikiLeak any day. Someone will compile an online global cellphone and email directory from it soon. Good or Bad? Who knows.

Enough rant.

Does anyone know where to find exactly what packages will have to be installed to get full functionality from Evolution on the KDE4 Desktop?

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.8.7
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 42.2; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.8.3
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.8.7