Thread: In OPENSUSE 11.4, Ark can extract all the contents in tree structure?

Default In OPENSUSE 11.4, Ark can extract all the contents in tree structure?

Hi,
    I download a tar.gz file. I try extract the content and burn it to a DVD ROM. I am new to command line input. Ark in KDE 4 can show the content in tar.gz, but it only extract the root files and folders, not the sub folder below. Ark cannot do that?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: In OPENSUSE 11.4, Ark can extract all the contents in tree structure?

Quote Originally Posted by freerjw View Post
    Hi,
    I download a tar.gz file. I try extract the content and burn it to a DVD ROM. I am new to command line input. Ark in KDE 4 can show the content in tar.gz, but it only extract the root files and folders, not the sub folder below. Ark cannot do that?

Thanks.
    How to open or Untar a "tar.gz" file in Linux or Unix Terminal session (Alt-F2: Type in Konsole & press <enter> in KDE):

The following tutorial assumes the name of your file is yourfile.tar.gz Replace with your actual filename.

From the terminal, change to the directory where yourfile.tar.gz has been downloaded.
    Type tar -zxvf yourfile.tar.gz to extract the file to the current directory.

You can specify a different directory to extract to using -C parameter and a path to the directory as follows:

Example: tar -C /myfolder -zxvf yourfile.tar.gz

Here are some links on using ark: ark(1): KDE archiving tool - Linux man page and ark (1) - Linux Man Page

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: In OPENSUSE 11.4, Ark can extract all the contents in tree structure?

Am 11.01.2012 00:36, schrieb freerjw:
    >
    > Hi,
    > I download a tar.gz file. I try extract the content and burn it to a
    > DVD ROM. I am new to command line input. Ark in KDE 4 can show the
    > content in tar.gz, but it only extract the root files and folders, not
    > the sub folder below. Ark cannot do that?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >

I have no problems extracting folders with subfolders with ark from an
    archive so I wonder if you can describe more detailed how you use ark so
    that this happens.

--
    PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
    4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.4 |
    nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Default Re: In OPENSUSE 11.4, Ark can extract all the contents in tree structure?

Quote Originally Posted by freerjw View Post
    Ark in KDE 4 can show the content in tar.gz, but it only extract the root files and folders, not the sub folder below. Ark cannot do that?
    Yes it can, that is the default behaviour. Also, instead of opening the tar.gz, if youright-click on it in File Manager/Dolphin you can select one of the Extract Archive options.