Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the WYSYNG html editors of the code does not break the line?

Default What are the WYSYNG html editors of the code does not break the line?

WYSYNG html editor kompozer in the code line break.

What are the WYSYNG html editors of the code does not break the line?

Default Re: What are the WYSYNG html editors of the code does not break the line?

Because your code will be formated by the browser. Some editors have a word wrap function which only affects the screen display to stop your having to scroll a long way horizontally.

Default Re: What are the WYSYNG html editors of the code does not break the line?

It is necessary to precisely inside the html files text was unbreakable.

I don't quite understand what you want to do but, if you want to force line breaks, close the line with </p> (or whatever ending the element has) and start the next line with <p>.

I did not have any idea what the questioner meant; but I think John gave me the clue.

However <p></p> tags are for marking paragraphs.
    To insert a line break use <br />
    There is probably an icon in a toolbar to insert the break tag.
    Be aware that graphical HTML editors are not WYSIWYG and to not produce easily maintainable, or W3C standards compliant code.

Default Re: What are the WYSYNG html editors of the code does not break theline?

On 01/10/2012 10:26 AM, eng-int wrote:
    > Be aware that graphical HTML editors are not WYSIWYG

well, KompoZer (never used it) advertises itself as WYSIWYG...and, what
    i see in the top pane of the OPs png is exactly what i would expect to
    see in display in the browser, give the html in the bottom pane (and
    vice versa)

> and to not produce easily maintainable, or W3C standards compliant code.

i know that certainly was the case the last time i tried a WYSIWYG html
    editor....but, i have no idea if the state of the art has advanced to
    the point that they are worth the trouble....

[since i did my first site using MS Notepad, in a "dox box" under OS/2
    Warp v3.0, i find that Bluefish (a non-WYSIWYG html editor) is all i need]

--
    DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat http://tinyurl.com/DD-Hardware
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Software
    openSUSE®, the "German Engineered Automobiles" of operating systems!

Default Re: What are the WYSYNG html editors of the code does not break theline?

HTML cannot be WYSIWYG by definition. It is supposed to mark up the structure , not the appearance. The browser determines the appearance, using hints from the styles. Graphical editors cheat with the layout by either misusing tables or putting everything in its own div, each with absolute positioning and its own unique styles.

They tend to use absolute pixel rather than relative dimensions, so the output only works at limited viewing resolutions. The output is either nothing like W3C HTML or so obscure, that it can only be modified with difficulty.

Kompozer has been around for years (it was sponsored by Lindows as NuVu) and remains pretty crude without much development. It is much quicker and easier to use a programmers text editor.

I think comment #2 may be the clue to the OP's problem. He should be able to disable word wrap in KompoZer somewhere in preferences.

A more up to date editor is BlueGriffon, The next-generation Web Editor based on the rendering engine of Firefox

I prefer using Aptana and viewing in the browser(s).
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

Mozilla begat NVu begat KompoZer begat BlueGriffon.
    None of them have produced good code.

Blog Entries

Usually in a WYSIWYG editor if you type in the WYSIWYG portion and hit enter, it automatically inserts a break ( < /br> ) or paragraph ( <p></p> ) tags, while what you enter in the code portion is exact, with no breaks being inserted for you.

Does Kompozer not do this?

I think the code portion has a setting for how wide to display before word-wrapping.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast